Implemented Create permission to allow forum thread titles to be viewed, but not thread content

Paul B

XenForo moderator
Staff member
I would like an additional permission which allows users to click on a forum title and see the thread listing, but when clicking on a thread title, the usual message relating to lack of permissions is displayed.

So for example, this is what a guest would see when clicking on the Have You Seen forum, the same as a normal registered user: http://xenforo.com/community/forums/have-you-seen/
But that's as much as they can see, they can't actually read any of the threads.

I did a search to see if this had been suggested already but nothing came up.

Upvote 37
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
If this feature is implemented I hope there would be two options:

1. Users can see the forums and thread titles but not contents
2. Users can see the forums, thread titles and read all of the first post but no replies.

The latter option allows for better SEO and it serves to entice a user's desire to "need" more. A guest will often locate a thread discussing a topic of importance and feel a need to learn all they can about the subject. This process transitions Guests into Members imo.

While I don't need this feature right now. It is definitely a must have for many.

I have a similar problem with the permission system. For some specific forums, I want my members to be able to post new messages in threads that already exists, but I don't want them to be able to post new threads.

xenforo's permission system needs to be more flexible.

I would like an additional permission which allows users to click on a forum title and see the thread listing, but when clicking on a thread title, the usual message relating to lack of permissions is displayed.

So for example, this is what a guest would see when clicking on the Have You Seen forum, the same as a normal registered user: http://xenforo.com/community/forums/have-you-seen/
But that's as much as they can see, they can't actually read any of the threads.

I did a search to see if this had been suggested already but nothing came up.

Do you mean like this mod ?
Guests can look but not read http://www.forumservices.eu/xenservices/index.php?threads/guests-can-look-but-not-read.22/

___EDIT___
Found the XF link http://xenforo.com/community/threads/guests-can-look-but-not-read.14417/

Possibly, I haven't looked at it.

I'll wait until/if it is part of the core permission set.

Interesting :confused:
I am rather curious on your position to not even look at a mod that does what you want while still continuing the push for it to be part of the core permission set.

I've stated my position previously; I only install mod's when I absolutely have to.

I'm happy to wait and see if this makes it in to the core.

I've stated my position previosuly; I only install mod's when I absolutely have to.

I'm happy to wait and see if this makes it in to the core.

I wasn't trying to step on your toes so I hope I didn't squish 1 with my prior question, I had to ask because a hard stance towards XF Mods from a XF Moderator left me thinking that I should be having the same stance towards using Mods.

I will drop the subject and let this thread carry on with its purpose, I for one agree that it should be included into XF

Not at all.
Mod's and add-ons are entirely a personal choice on the part of the site owner - I just happen to prefer to keep them to a minimum on my site.

If this feature is implemented I hope there would be two options:

1. Users can see the forums and thread titles but not contents
2. Users can see the forums, thread titles and read all of the first post but no replies.

The latter option allows for better SEO and it serves to entice a user's desire to "need" more. A guest will often locate a thread discussing a topic of importance and feel a need to learn all they can about the subject. This process transitions Guests into Members imo.

I strongly agree with you on that, but for option 2 perhaps have it custom so that 'x' number of posts can be viewed by guests and then it says 'to see the remaining posts please sign in or register'.

I say this because when I'm searching with help for a topic if I see a site which shows a question which is what I'm asking, but all the (possible) answers are hidden from me I instantly leave and look for another site. If I really can't find anything else I may go back and sign up but probably not as an active member. On the otherhand I think if I saw a few replies that show some helpful answers / attempts at answers / discussion of topic I would be more inclined to join up and perhaps participate.

I am wondering why we do have to make a "workaround" in order for this to work, as Brogan suggested to use "Link-Forum" to make this working.

We actually have at this very xenforo.com website also a few Forums which content is only viewable by paying customers, but the Forum-Title is still publicly visible......

That's not correct erich.

All post content is visible to all members.
It's only attachments which are restricted to customers in the customer forums.

Top Bottom