XF 1.0 Cleaning-Up Spam

The proliferation of human-backed CAPTCHA breakers and all manner of other means to break through anti-robot protection on forums means that spam prevention systems must now be joined with spam clean-up utilities.

With this in mind, XenForo introduces the Spam Cleaner - a one-stop shop for quickly and easily dealing with spam that has made it onto your forum.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I suggest you view this video at full-size by clicking the full-screen gadget in the bottom-right of the video.

An excellent tool and thank you! It's going to make life so much easier for everyone managing my communities. I support those earlier in the thread who called for caution about banning IP numbers - too much can go wrong when dynamic IP numbers are used. However, many spammers that hit my forums aren't from the UK (we're a UK site talking about UK news and info) and mostly come from either Russia, the Philipines or Eastern European countries. Many are probably using a proxy but easy to spot so that's when IP banning works.

Very cool.

Personally I'm not sure what the point of the user criteria is though. Wouldn't mind having the spam link on every post.
I will probably set quite high values there myself. Sometimes it takes a while between registration and the first spam post for exemple.

/SK

Very cool.

Personally I'm not sure what the point of the user criteria is though. Wouldn't mind having the spam link on every post.
I will probably set quite high values there myself. Sometimes it takes a while between registration and the first spam post for exemple.

/SK
If that's the case on your board, a setting of 0 for registration time disables the check.

I can not believe that the 2 of you managed to get all this stuff into a first alpha release... (and how long have you been working on XenForo... I mean it must just have been approx 1 year ago the two of you left your former employer?). The front end is already really fantastic, but seeing these back end videos along with it gives me a very convincing feeling. The future looks bright for XenForo :cool:.

Great feature.
I only have one question, if the user is unbanned from the spam cleaner log does it automatically restore his posts (except if permanently deleted obviously) ?

I should mention that the spam cleaner is completely pluggable too - any content type in XenForo that has a SpamHandler class defined can be worked with by the spam cleaner. Right now it applies to threads, posts, profile posts and profile post comments.

I should mention that the spam cleaner is completely pluggable too - any content type in XenForo that has a SpamHandler class defined can be worked with by the spam cleaner. Right now it applies to threads, posts, profile posts and profile post comments.
That's what im talking bout, take to the ease and walk it out.

Could it, should it, apply to personal conversations?

vB has a limit of 50 posts do delete on "delete spam" feature, will xenforo be unlimited on that?
It would necessarily be limited by the number of posts you specify as the maximum for a potential spammer to have made - see the options at the beginning of the video.

I must really give credit where credit is due... that is one hell of a nice control mechanism to assist daily forum running, especially big boards will see immense use from such an all-in-one solution. Exceptional outlook and thought can really be seen going into this product. Keep up the great work guys.

Very nice indeed
Is there a chance the "Spam" button/link can be added to the persons profile page, or the popup info card? It'd save a few clicks :p
Apologies to Denis for the demonstration, but...

Card.webp

Profile.webp

I like the word 'spam' on the users card, and the word 'spam cleaner' on the profile. It matches the functionality perfectly because that clearly makes a connection to where that button will take you.

I thought it may look odd for some reason.

Top Bottom