California Case Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
The legal systems in the US and the UK are somewhat different on that matter, in the US I believe the "Prayer for relief" aspect mentioned in many documents is basically the equivilent to recovering costs. Maybe jadmperry would be kind enough to explain this part in a little more detail.

It's also why in the UK case IB was ordered to pay money into Escrow as over here the judge basically says you win or lose, and the losing party is responsible for paying the court costs for both parties involved, XenForo basically put an application forward saying if they lose, IB has no tangeable assets in the UK to pay that bill, so it would get lumped onto XenForo with no way to recover the money from IB.

Just a thought. If/when IB loose the US case, do you think they will still bother pursuing the UK case given their chances of winning would be very slim?

Wow, that must have been a hard post to make.
People have been waiting for months for this reassurance.

I'm just glad it's been posted, later is better than never lol. I can see more activity, resource development firing up again, more license sales now, and perhaps even better morale in community again. :)

I'm just glad it's been posted, later is better than never lol. I can see more activity, resource development firing up again, more license sales now, and perhaps even better morale in community again. :)

I'm glad he posted it, for sure, but this should have been posted months ago.
I'm playing it safe and not renewing my licenses til it IS actually back in development.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't...
Yep, either way.

Wow, that must have been a hard post to make.
People have been waiting for months for this reassurance.
In fairness and in Kier's defense.... That message has been repeated for 2 years. But people hear and see what they want to hear and see.

I often like to say there is the truth and then there is the "truth". Which do you think more than often is accepted, followed, believed, heard, and understood? I much prefer fact myself, but sadly our world accepts "truth" more often.

Keep it on topic please guys. I'm sure a lot of people have a lot of comments for what could have been done better, and i'm sure that once all the unpleasentness is behind us there will be time made to try and fix those burned (napalmed?) bridges.

Just a thought. If/when IB loose the US case, do you think they will still bother pursuing the UK case given their chances of winning would be very slim?

Hard to say, Pams comment sums it up nicely.

"For two years, Plaintiff and legal counsel from several law firms and on two continents have torn into Defendants with a vengeance that defies rational explanation."

I would imagine that if anything they may try to push the employment stuff through the UK courts, anything trialed or dismissed in the US would fall under res judicata.

However non-compete contracts within the UK are notoriously difficult to enforce due to employment law basically saying "You can't stop someone earning a living by stopping them using their tools of the trade". As KAM's area of expertise over the last 10-15 years or so has been in forum software, IB cannot stop them working in that area as it effectively stopping them earning an income.

you would think by now, most would realize it's just a temporary thing till trial/case is over with(a handful of members stated in opinion/assumed as much)... so the whole "show me the money" thing wouldn't happen regardless, till it's "over". :) ;) i just think it's funny how all the naysayer's stuff is held with so much weight/set in stone/believed... but the positive things are shrugged off, made fun of, not believed, and put down. lol.

The concerned threads have not been posted in quite a long time that are branded as naysayers, whining posts. This is an argument the same old people resort to to keep this going. Remembering, people that asked questions were severely bashed (example: syndol when he asked a perfectly legitimate question met with rude offensive posts) and there on after when it all settled down the same old people would bring this up, and blow it all out of proportion repeating this never ending bickering cycle and here we have it again continue or about to.

This is really the point where this thread will start going south because really all that is happening at this point is old wounds being pried open.Which of course, after so many months of the community bickering with each other it's all they know how tp do which is fine with me now.

If development continues great. I'm a person of action more than the written word because when all is said and done when contributors from the start voice out a concern and allowed to be met with abuse words don't hold much weight i'm afraid.

The concerned threads have not been posted in quite a long time that are branded as naysayers, whining posts. This is an argument the same old people resort to to keep this going. Remembering, people that asked questions were severely bashed (example: syndol when he asked a perfectly legitimate question met with rude offensive posts) and there on after when it all settled down the same old people would bring this up, and blow it all out of proportion repeating this never ending bickering cycle and here we have it again continue or about to.

This is really the point where this thread will start going south because really all that is happening at this point is old wounds being pried open.Which of course, after so many months of the community bickering with each other it's all they know how tp do which is fine with me now.

If development continues great. I'm a person of action more than the written word because when all is said and done when contributors from the start voice out a concern and allowed to be met with abuse words don't hold much weight i'm afraid.
I see your points Shelley, and yeah you're right. I'll remove my post, so apologizes to public for posting it. Some times I just like to "get out" thoughts on things (let it for couple mins and remove it), usually I delete things I think will "start shyt"...Just wasn't quick enough this time sigh.

I see your points Shelley, and yeah you're right. I'll remove my post, so apologizes to public for posting it. Some times I just like to "get out" thoughts on things (let it for couple mins and remove it), usually I delete things I think will "start shyt"...Just wasn't quick enough this time sigh.

You really don't have to it wasn't directed at you and you just happened to be the person I quoted and didn't owe out an apology.

My point is it's time to leave sleeping dogs lie and move forward if that is even possible.

Wish you guys all the best... It could not have been easy...

Unfortunately though, I don't see a quick solution is sight... This has dragged for so long that I don't see the judge dismissing the case without it going to trial... :( I hope not...

I don't see the judge dismissing the case without it going to trial... :( I hope not...

I'd be amazed if it doesn't go to trial.
The judge has consistently dotted all i's snd crossed all t's to avoid any chance of appeal.
However he has also indicated a desire to GET to trial. This was frustrated by IB's latest shenanigans about Mike which left no choice but to delay a little to deal with it (due Jan 7). Had he not done that it would have been fuel for a technical appeal later.
I'd now expect a trial before the end of March, maybe early March.

The alternative is if IB makes a really good offer to settle: paying all costs, withdrawing all claims and undertaking not to make any similar ones - anywhere including UK. However that could lay them open to XF suing for harassment. I doubt XF would having had a bellyful of litigation by now but IB couldnt be certain of it. A deal might include Xf undertaking not to do it.

But I have also seen comment that it's too late now for any settlement?

So XF freedom in March as the daffodils open in golden glory now looks like a good prophecy.
01220-Black-cat-sniffing-daffodils.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom