California Case Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
So would that $100k be part of the costs that IB would try to get awarded against XenForo in the (unlikely) event that the Judge decides in their favour?
Yes, part of it. I expect the whole thing has cost a hell of a lot more than that, already though.

$100,000 is probably small change compared to the rest of the fees incurred by both parties.

Yes, part of it. I expect the whole thing has cost a hell of a lot more than that, already though.

$100,000 is probably small change compared to the rest of the fees incurred by both parties.
Is there any information on how much this case cost ("only" about trial fees/not from a commercial perspective) to XenForo developers ?

Is there any information on how much this case cost ("only" about trial fees/not from a commercial perspective) to XenForo developers ?
I remember seeing one of the documents months ago with around a debt already of $100,000 to XF development team if I'm not wrong.

Makes me sick just thinking about it.

Poor sods.

Think about it, Grace Law's hourly rate is probably upwards of $500+Tax an hour. This latest set of documents is over 300 pages long and contains hundreds of references to other cases and legal documents. Lets assume a generous rate of 5-10 minutes per page, (that also includes the repeated pages of evidence because they would also need to be found referenced and contexed) so your looking at a lawyers bill of $12,500-$25,000 for putting these documents together alone, and thats assuming it was that quick. Then you have your court costs on top of that, whatever they may be, the costs of apearing at the court, responces, counter responces etc.

Think about it, Grace Law's hourly rate is probably upwards of $500+Tax an hour. This latest set of documents is over 300 pages long and contains hundreds of references to other cases and legal documents. Lets assume a generous rate of 5-10 minutes per page, (that also includes the repeated pages of evidence because they would also need to be found referenced and contexed) so your looking at a lawyers bill of $12,500-$25,000 for putting these documents together alone, and thats assuming it was that quick. Then you have your court costs on top of that, whatever they may be, the costs of apearing at the court, responces, counter responces etc.
Exactly. It's disgusting.

It makes my blood boil thinking about it. Especially with all the deliberate delay tactics they're employing making it even worse.

If we had to put an estimated figure on the cost to XenForo of this whole case... are we close to $1,000,000?

And does the American juridical system have a kind of clause similar I was talking above? If XenForo wins is it possible than IB be forced by the judge to pay the trial fees?

Exactly. It's disgusting.

It makes my blood boil thinking about it. Especially with all the deliberate delay tactics they're employing making it even worse.

If we had to put an estimated figure on the cost to XenForo of this whole case... are we close to $1,000,000?
It reminds me some poker movies: if you don't have enough money to "follow", then you can't pay to see and know what cards had your opponent... But one is a game, the other claims to be justice.:confused:

And does the American juridical system have a kind of clause similar I was talking above? If XenForo wins is it possible than IB be forced by the judge to pay the trial fees?

The legal systems in the US and the UK are somewhat different on that matter, in the US I believe the "Prayer for relief" aspect mentioned in many documents is basically the equivilent to recovering costs. Maybe jadmperry would be kind enough to explain this part in a little more detail.

It's also why in the UK case IB was ordered to pay money into Escrow as over here the judge basically says you win or lose, and the losing party is responsible for paying the court costs for both parties involved, XenForo basically put an application forward saying if they lose, IB has no tangeable assets in the UK to pay that bill, so it would get lumped onto XenForo with no way to recover the money from IB.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom