Fixed What's new should say "No results" if there aren't any

stromb0li

Affected version
2.2, 2.3
If there is no content to display in "What's new" based on the user's context, a friendly message should be shown to say something like: "No new content, check back later!"

For example, attached is what I see with no content available to my context.
What's new.webp
When I look at the other tabs, they all gracefully show a no content message:
no results found.webp

This is pretty much a borderline design issue/as designed.

As this page is based on widgets, and widgets are designed to not display if there is no content, that is mostly the reason why it's empty.

We may be able to workaround it though.

Thank you for reporting this issue, it has now been resolved. We are aiming to include any changes that have been made in a future XF release (2.3.0 Beta 7).

Change log:
Ensure a "no results" message is displayed on the what's new overview if there are no widgets or all widgets are empty.
There may be a delay before changes are rolled out to the XenForo Community.

Just ported the fix back to 2.2.16.

To implement it in 2.2.15, edit the template whats_new.

Find:

HTML:
<xf:widgetpos id="whats_new_overview" />

Replace with:

HTML:
<xf:if contentcheck="true">
    <xf:contentcheck>
        <xf:widgetpos id="whats_new_overview" />
    </xf:contentcheck>
<xf:else />
    <div class="blockMessage">
        {{ phrase('no_results_found') }}
    </div>
</xf:if>

You have the option to do that:

1715954609186.webp

You can either remove the "Unread" filter or click the "view all latest posts" link.

You can also specify what your default "New posts" filter is, so it always shows latest posts:

1715954657296.webp

The problem for our scenario is we have one permission where we don't allow the member access to any forums, so even with most recent posts, it would need to show no results.
Prevent their access to what's new then ?

or a message:

For access to the latest posts please [Register]
benefits of registering:
(1) xxxx
(2) yyyy
(3) zzzzz
(4) aaaa

Prevent their access to what's new then ?
That would work, but there isn't something native to only control the What's New experience per group without template changes, afaik. This change will solve a different problem at large though for a niche set of others. There's some politics behind the ask haha DM me and I can provide more details.

I'm not sure @stromb0li was asking for support. I think he knows what he's doing.
Koffee With Karan Bollywood GIF

Top Bottom