XF2.3 feedback and comments

. if you can not tell the difference then i won't be able to explain it to you.
Then you won't be able to. Well I can tell some differences but it's more about the quality of the composition of the articles (e.g. image alignment, subheadings)

An article is basically text and images that is made nicely readable by suitable use of paragraphs, headings and subheadings, illustrations etc. A table of contents can be useful (which is now available in xenForo).

Last edited:
and i have a feeling you are amongst the rah-rah brigade that sees no wrong in xenforo and really has no desire to push it to its maximum potential. and that is fine. I was warned about a certain population over here when I purchased my second hand license.

Just to be clear, if the antagonistic tone towards other members continues, you will be joining your associate with the same forum restrictions that he has.

Our patience for "that" style of posting has worn thin, and none of the staff are going to spend much time going over countless reports again.

XenPorta or Bob's AMS are great options, clearly superior to the built in option.
That's quite possible if you want something else and please explain why they are superior, but it's not an issue if you find that the xenForo articles are as good as you need it to get.

I look at an article system in two regards:
  • How good is it for a user experience
  • How good is it for SEO
For me what xenForo supplies is fine for both but I'm open to hearing what is wrong and what can be improved by paying extra. The examples linked in post 559 above didn't answer either.

a simple forum
It's hard to make you see advanced things as "simple" things and honestly only the best can do it.

You stand on the shoulders of those who made and continue to make the history of the community, so a little respect too.

If you are interested in something you would like, use the forum to suggest it. I don't understand all this grumpy way.

Of course I would also like to have some other functionality but if they don't propose it they will have their reasons and honestly they know well what is convenient or not for a forum.

and i have a feeling you are amongst the rah-rah brigade that sees no wrong in xenforo
Yes, happy to be part of it too...

XenPorta or Bob's AMS are great options, clearly superior to the built in option.
yes those are more like what an article is to me. and that is what i refer to when looking at what xenforo offers as an article and what is done by some plug in developers.
You stand on the shoulders of those who made and continue to make the history of the community, so a little respect too.
i am simply stating that so far i have not seen anything presented that encourages me to spend my limited money on renewing the license. some people like eating plain rice and beans and others like something more flavorful mixed in.
currently i would rather spend money on a few plug ins than renewing the license. the plug ins bring more to the site than what i have seen offered in the software so far.

For me what xenForo supplies is fine for both but I'm open to hearing what is wrong and what can be improved by paying extra. The examples linked in post 559 above didn't answer either.
to see what actual articles look like find a site using the article plug in from xenaddons. you will then get an idea of what the difference I refer to consists of. i visited your site as a guest and compared to what i saw as an article and then looked at a site that uses an article plug in. there was a world of difference. but if the simple article creation built in works for you that is great. i just would like to see more article specific ability added in like the ability to create an index, have pages and such.

Last edited:
Please: 🙏
When upgrading, new widgets from XF 2.3 should not necessarily be installed by default.
That's horrible...

I found it a bit odd, I went and installed them then got confused because there were two of each. But then I get confused easily.

Nothing that would work on any other site - the functions are specific to here related to customers, etc.

It all looks ok to me!
Only thing I’d do is make the change of the titles and have Trending threads for one of them and trending posts for the other.

As the owner of a forum, you are amazed when an upgrade destroys your entire layout after each new upgrade.
They're only inserted when upgrading from an earlier version, not on every new upgrade. Upgrading between minor versions almost always introduces new features and options that need to be configured as desired anyways.

They're only inserted when upgrading from an earlier version, not on every new upgrade. Upgrading between minor versions almost always introduces new features and options that need to be configured as desired anyways.
At least after every upgrade of the beta version (b2->3->4) I had to deactivate the new widget from XF 2.3 again. Maybe it's my mistake...

The featured widget is added when upgrading from earlier than beta 1, and the trending widget is added when upgrading from earlier than beta 4. If the widgets are continually added it means redundant upgrade steps are being run when they really shouldn't be.

I'm curious, does XF use any community add-ons for this forum (other than the official ones)?
They have however bought/acquired/inherited 2 addons that were initially third party developed.

Media Gallery was Chris' (they subsequently employed him along with the addon)
Passkeys for 2.3 is Shawn's - (aka digitalpoint)

Top Bottom