XF2.3 feedback and comments

yeah. a new one i created does work. but old one migrated from 2.2 install does not. even if i change any of the setting to reset it somehow. like how i needed to do to get the header bar appear lol.

so far i have not seen anything that pushes me to pay for an extension over what i currently have on my site, in fact i regularly have issues with TOR browser here. i got my license for $25 thanks to a friend, but so far i have not seen anything that encourages me to pay out money that i could use elsewhere.
so much of what i would like to do is so dependent upon plug ins and i regularly see people having issues with the plug in developers leaving and they getting left in the lurch. this honestly worries me.
so for me i am comfortable with where i sit currently and cannot (so far) justify spending money that I could use to live on to support the program for what little it offers me for what i would like to do.
the dependence on outside people to get the program to work like some others do is somewhat worrisome. from reading here i have seen developers abandon the software and leave users out in the cold.

Although I have quite a few addons, I don't depend on them to run a forum. XenForo actually works very well as forum software by itself. If you want extra stuff it's optional.
only if it is xenforo.
from investigating other scripts there are functions that are built into many of them that are paid plug ins for xenforo.
pretty sure that was the point i was trying to make when comparing other paid scripts to this one. others offer more benefits and yes maybe at a slightly higher price.
from what i have experienced so far with xenforo as a beginning admin there are other programs that offer more in the core. being simply know n as a base forum software in the current livelyhood of the internet is a no-show.
personally i can not pursue those other options due to limited funds but for those that can they may be better served by investigating all the paid program options. it is a shame that in some ways xenforo is ahead but in many others it is light years behind.
for the site i am staff on, the core xenforo program would not be of a lot of use. it is more dependent upon plug ins to extend it beyond what it is capable of.
for my own site, the minimal offerings of the core program are pretty much fine for it. and i have honestly not seen anything that pushes me to pay for an extension of my license to 2.3.

1712232058665.webp

Is this typical behavior ? I don't think it is.

-- desktop only -- chrome in this case.
On this very old (poor color display) monitor, I couldn't see the slightly darker background of the 2 new notifications. So the lack of a blue dot made it impossible to tell which notification was new.

on mobile, the blue dots are there.

Mobile

IMG_8022.webp

edit - I also just turned down the contrast to 83 (was at 100) to help this monitor with slight color differentiation. 83 was the sweet spot.

from investigating other scripts there are functions that are built into many of them that are paid plug ins for xenforo.
pretty sure that was the point i was trying to make when comparing other paid scripts to this one. others offer more benefits and yes maybe at a slightly higher price.
And some of us like that we aren't paying for stuff we won't use. A barebones core with add-ons for those who need them is my preferred model, really. For my site, I am down to just free add-ons and most are staff-facing ones that could be ditched without affecting end users.

And some of us like that we aren't paying for stuff we won't use. A barebones core with add-ons for those who need them is my preferred model, really. For my site, I am down to just free add-ons and most are staff-facing ones that could be ditched without affecting end users.
and some of us expect at least air conditioning instead of relying on 4x4x60mph air cooling.
there is a happy medium. and xenforo is not there currently.
the rank dependence upon outside coders to support xenforo for what many would consider core needs is in many ways is more of a hindrance than a benefit. i have tried to avoid this but look at the suggestions area which is something that license holders have wanted and the time that some of them have been sitting out there (over a decade) and no action. that in itself should be a wake-up call for all but those that are cult members, which from reading here i see numerous are.
if i want bare bones then i expect to pay bare bones prices. and honestly xenforo prices are not bare bones when compared to some other offerings that offer substantially more for only a little more in cost.

Last edited:
and some of us expect at least air conditioning instead of relying on 4x4x60mph air cooling.
there is a happy medium. and xenforo is not there currently.
the rank dependence upon outside coders to support xenforo for what many would consider core needs is in many ways is more of a hindrance than a benefit.
if i want bare bones then i expect to pay bare bones prices. and honestly xenforo prices are not bare bones when compared to some other offerings.
What are you waiting on that other softwares have that isn't already here or due in 2.3?

Is it small things or are you referring to blogs, articles, content management? Because at some point it stops becoming forum software and starts becoming a full website management suite.

As far as pricing goes for self hosted its the cheapest. I'm not sure how the cloud fares up 🤷

Not saying the software is perfect but it's not "bare bones".

As you say, only "some of us." This implies everyone else pay for air conditioning if they don't want it?

OTOH I'm sure whatever the platform, people will be paying for stuff they don't want anyway. There's things in xenForo I don't use or need but I can't expect them to pair it down just for me and give me a discount.

or are you referring to blogs, articles,

Articles is already included

Is it small things or are you referring to blogs, articles, content management? Because at some point it stops becoming forum software and starts becoming a full website management suite.
and that is the current issue. a simple forum can't live in today's environment of users, and those that think it can are living in a fantasy world.
i know that even i want to extend my site from the simplistic posting of individual comments to more than what xenforo and its limited 1st party offerings provide.
if you think a simplistic forum is able to make it in the demands of the users of today, i want a ticket to that fantasy land you reside in.
that is the issue with xenforo. they are still mired in the theory of we are a simply a forum meanwhile the rest of society demands more. and there are the cult members for xenforo that rah-rah that position. meanwhile other scripts continue to advance and offer their license holders and their license holders user much more.
two examples that i have looked at but cannot afford are invision community and woltlab.

As you say, only "some of us." This implies everyone else pay for air conditioning if they don't want it?
in todays day and age. yep. air conditioning is a given. being without it is third world.

Articles is already included
reallly? from what i have seen the built in articles is like comparing a #2 pencil and a tablet to a word processor.

and i have a feeling you are amongst the rah-rah brigade that sees no wrong in xenforo and really has no desire to push it to its maximum potential. and that is fine. I was warned about a certain population over here when I purchased my second hand license.

So you want xenforo to maintain a full suite of applications on their bare bones prices because you can't afford the solutions that are out there?

Is that not wanting your cake and eating it?
no, i want xenforo to offer more in core than the simplistic offering that they do and reduce the dependence upon third party coders. even at the early stage of ownership that i am i have already been bitten by a coder leaving the xenforo envelope.
that has always been the weakness of programs in the dependence upon third party programmers to offer what the core solution should have. it is not a new thing. but it still remains an aggravating thing. and in my short time with this program i see it happening here.
so many of you whine about it will add bloat. guess what... they already offer 1st party plug ins for stuff. they could do the same for many of those requests that i have seen that have been languishing for over a decade out there.

Last edited:
What is actually wrong with it?
very simple. it's a pig wearing lipstick. it is simply a post that has been massaged.
you want to see an actual article ability just look at what is used on the site I am staff on. if you can not tell the difference then i won't be able to explain it to you.
and as for the suggestions. like i mentioned earlier. there are suggestions out there that are over a decade old that have not been acted upon from my review of the suggestions area.
it makes it really hard for me to cut loose the limited funds i have to extend my license. and so far in 2.3 i have not seen anything that actually pushes me to that point.

Absolutely not, hence why so many suggestions from me:
and based upon history of suggestions to actual implementation (based upon my review of outstanding ones and review of updates to xenforo), how likely do you think they are to tread water? i have seen multiple suggestions that would enhance this program significantly that are still sitting in that area with no response of note. it makes me wonder if the programmers are more concerned with that they think the program should be or what the users need it to be. and yes i am probably sounding like the guy i purchased my license from. but maybe there is a reason for that. when you start ignoring the people who pay your salary and concentrate on what you think is best it usually comes back to bite you in the bottom.
as i mentioned earlier i have seen nothing that pushes me to spend my limited funds on an upgrade. i would not get that much more to offer my users.

Last edited:
Oh i completely agree that the dependence on third parties isn't perfect. I think this was done in the early days so that developers could fill in the gaps and the community can make the software better, quicker. But obviously it means also the XF devs can develop and integrate better in their own production teams.

We are seeing an (albeit slow) adoption of third party offerings in the core. We are also seeing addons being integrated "as-is" with the software (Chris' media gallery, DP's passkey) which goes to show the level of sophistication and skill that the third party programmers offer - but yes there are some cowboys out there.

Its not a perfect system but vbulletin started in 2000 (10yr head start on xenforo) and IPS was 2002. Let's not forget they have programmers in swathes and XF has 4 (2 of which I believe are part time - or were when the roles were first being recruited)

Top Bottom