What web technologies to use for a big site?

dtommy79

Hi,

What would be the best choice to build a huge website upon? Should I use a framework or build a completely custom platform?

I'm planning to build a very complex learning management site where main functionalities would be: videos, audios, quizzes, chats, payments, messaging, users can interact with each other.

One of the development companies I contacted said they would use WordPress for this, but I'm not so sure it's a good idea.

The website will have a large user base (millions) very quickly and I expect it to be very busy. I'm not sure WordPress can handle such a big traffic and user activity.

So what kind of technologies or framework would you recommend?

Thanks

Hi,

What would be the best choice to build a huge website upon? Should I use a framework or build a completely custom platform?

I'm planning to build a very complex learning management site where main functionalities would be: videos, audios, quizzes, chats, payments, messaging, users can interact with each other.

One of the development companies I contacted said they would use WordPress for this, but I'm not so sure it's a good idea.

The website will have a large user base (millions) very quickly and I expect it to be very busy. I'm not sure WordPress can handle such a big traffic and user activity.

So what kind of technologies or framework would you recommend?

Thanks

Whatever the company you're paying to build and support it is comfortable with. Nothing wrong with WordPress in the right hands. Plenty of other non PHP frameworks also.

Whatever the company you're paying to build and support it is comfortable with. Nothing wrong with WordPress in the right hands. Plenty of other non PHP frameworks also.
Can WordPress handle so many active users and stay fast and efficient? I've never seen very complex sites built upon wordpress.

Can WordPress handle so many active users and stay fast and efficient? I've never seen very complex sites built upon wordpress.

Check out the table at the bottom. Maybe translate it with Google:

Business XXL: 300 000 hits/min cached and 12 000 hits/min uncached.

With a proper webserver and tuning it you can scale this quite a bit :8

Top Bottom