What are major features needed in 3.0?

I'm a software developer. I'm well aware of Major, Minor, Revision, Build in versioning. A major release is rarely a ground up rewrite, not sure where you're getting that from. A major release comes out when development warrants the feature set warrants the major version number change.

Three or four years from now who knows what we will want or need? The whole landscape could change. I understand you're asking about major releases but as Brogan pointed out that is not 3.0 it is 2.x. 🤷‍♂️

I’m hesitant to close this but I will at least say this:

If you want to discuss new features - and believe me you guys don’t need to worry about whether it would be a 2.x level feature or 3.x level feature - the most productive place to do so would be in specific suggestions in the Suggestions forum.

When we’re considering new features for inclusion in XF 2.x or 3.x that’s where we’ll be looking, not here.

So while I won’t close this, please direct your good ideas and constructive discussion over there so we can actually find it in the future 🙂

Im curious on what are you planning for Xenforo?

Platforms are going ham with new features, not only forums CMS but Social Media Platforms.

First party features are the bread, and add-ons are the butter. For Xenforo the bread is thin and the butter most of the time is expensive.

Half of the "good" suggestions are closed because "lack of interest" and the other half will probably remain a suggestion for a lot of time or for ever.

Knowing what will come in the future can be useful to remove some uncertainty from our business.

Running a forum is hard nowadays, i expect a lot more communication from the platform i rely on.

A major release comes out when development warrants the feature set warrants the major version number change.
Seems to me there were more new admin and user changes in 2.2 than there were in 2.0. Yes I'm sure 2.0 had a whole new enhancement of the code and developer suff, but then huge changes in 2..2 were more for forum management and users - thread types etc.

Having said that, version 3.0 could revolutionise forums. I 'd like to see telepathic posting - no need to type or dictate anything just think the post and it arrives in peoples' brains.

Last edited:
Im curious on what are you planning for Xenforo?

Platforms are going ham with new features, not only forums CMS but Social Media Platforms.

First party features are the bread, and add-ons are the butter. For Xenforo the bread is thin and the butter most of the time is expensive.

Half of the "good" suggestions are closed because "lack of interest" and the other half will probably remain a suggestion for a lot of time or for ever.

Knowing what will come in the future can be useful to remove some uncertainty from our business.

Running a forum is hard nowadays, i expect a lot more communication from the platform i rely on.

I can't agree more. Forums are hard to run due of social media sites, they are easy to navigate, multi language supported and very popular.

You'll need to have the COVID chip implanted first.

That's the prerequisite.
I'm still waiting for the 5G to kick in, so far nothing. Although I do now have a strange desire to upgrade all of my Microsoft products. Maybe my batch of nanobots is defective. 🤔

Forums are hard to run due of social media sites
i think this is changing. facebook groups was a major threat but with facebook becoming an irritating giant, people are getting out of that ecosystem. niche forums are going to last for a long time to come. after a pretty a long time, i am again pretty hopeful of independent small communities. the problem is monetization.

i think this is changing. facebook groups was a major threat but with facebook becoming an irritating giant, people are getting out of that ecosystem. niche forums are going to last for a long time to come. after a pretty a long time, i am again pretty hopeful of independent small communities. the problem is monetization.

That's true, but Facebook is going ham with Groups features, Pages Features and Podcast integration for example.

Google still doesn't like UGC much. They changed the weight of UGC in our favor tho during 2020.

Monetization, Schema.org (Supported by Google) to gain richer search results like Web Stories, Step by step guides etc. Accessibility with Audio registration directly from Xenforo and not only audio embeds.

Xenforo still doesn't support PayPal new API's to let us manage our subscriptions better. Optimize the use of JavaScript and CSS to have better Performances. And i could continue with more things if i keep thinking. I really need to open a suggestion thread about this? No there are! Forgotten.

Sometimes i feel "holded back" by the "cost of innovation" on Xenforo, for most of things I need to pay a third party developer, and most of the time they don't follow Xenforo standards, cost a lot, and are slow and unreliable and accept only payments before the work is delivered and examined by our devs.

Develop everything internally is a tough challenge.

People need first party features to be fleshed out, a better Trophy System, better User Criteria, better Tags system. Everything on Xenforo is half baked to let developers extend the functionalities, i can understand some of the features but EVERYTHING is infuriating.

At least improve things slowly but surely, but this isn't the case, things are there but forgotten.

Tons of features in the works tho! But we can't tell.

Effective communication should be the first priority in a landscape like this, where every new forum is wiped out from existence within a year and old forums struggle to monetize their audience.

We are talking about independent forums not owned by IGN for example or other million dollar companies, but maybe Xenforo is going after that market.

Still, to compete with Facebook groups or social media site, you need tons of addons and custom work done. Nowadays, people are expecting more than just a forum. But also depends on the niche, some forums might work well just with forum out of the box, some need lots of features and addons.

Monetization, Schema.org (Supported by Google) to gain richer search results like Web Stories, Step by step guides etc. Accessibility with Audio registration directly from Xenforo and not only audio embeds.

Xenforo still doesn't support PayPal new API's to let us manage our subscriptions better. Optimize the use of JavaScript and CSS to have better Performances. And i could continue with more things if i keep thinking. I really need to open a suggestion thread about this? No there are! Forgotten.

[...]

People need first party features to be fleshed out, a better Trophy System, better User Criteria, better Tags system
Those suggestions are not forgotten, they are just not aa important as you may think they are.
My company for example operates about 80 forums - none of the features you mentioned would be really important for us, except for more lightweight & modular CSS & JS which would really benefit all customers.

My company for example operates about 80 forums - none of the features you mentioned would be really important for us,

Features requests depends on your company goal. If you just need a support forum, you don't need better discoverability on Google Search. If you don't operate forum just for profit, deeper monetization is useless (i don't know why supporting advanced APIs isn't important).

I'm curious which features you need on your 80 forums? There's should be something...or everything is perfect from your point of view?

Just to have things in perspective.

I'm probably going to get laughed at but here's my take.... Anything but Facebook.

Have you seen Facebook lately? I mean really delve into just looking at profiles? So many are fake or autogenerated with search input. Millions of people have left Facebook, people are generally tired of sharing and drama and just want quick "how and where" info. Fake and disgusting (old fat men looking for sex) Marketplace ads. The only thing that is keeping FB alive IMHO are business pages and people too addicted to realize they can share family photos via text messages.

As I've written prior, forums will return. Whatever and whenever XF releases something, it's hopefully going to contribute to Facebook's ultimate demise. We can only hope Facebook turns into myspace in a few years. 2.... or 3.0. I don't care as long as it works and isn't facebook. lol

NealC

I'm going to suggest that you have a look at xenforo's youtube videos as well as the 4 have you seen threads on 2.3.

Top Bottom