XF 2.2 Using the PWA and XF's version

beerForo

1. So on XF it says Install App.
On mine it says Add to Home screen.
This does not appear to be in languages so how do I get mine to say that?

2. When I install XF's I see the XF avatar/circle. When I install mine I see a generic letter and a small google icon. How do I get my logo?

Thanks!

This does not appear to be in languages so how do I get mine to say that?
Not too sure what you're referring to, but the button in the off-canvas menu uses the install_app phrase.

2. When I install XF's I see the XF avatar/circle. When I install mine I see a generic letter and a small google icon. How do I get my logo?
Use the PWA setup tool in the control panel to upload your desired icons.

Okay cool so in that section I have
"Your board does not meet the requirements to be an installable progressive web app. Please ensure the settings listed below are filled out correctly."

So I will fill in the description and upload the images and see if that works.

But people can still install it, like I said, in the menu it has different language and it does install, and it is not a website link it is the PWA because there is no address bar.

It's possible some browsers have more lax installation criteria than others, but the board title and both icons are listed as required criteria for Chrome (and are all that's required to make that message go away).

in the menu is has different language
Do you mean an option in the browser menu? We only have control over the button in the XF off-canvas navigation. The browser itself may use different text elsewhere.

It's possible some browsers have more lax installation criteria than others, but the board title and both icons are listed as required criteria for Chrome (and are all that's required to make that message go away).

Do you mean an option in the browser menu? We only have control over the button in the XF off-canvas navigation. The browser itself may use different text elsewhere.
Nope, in Chrome's menu. Example go the the XF Community and in Chrome it says Install App. Go to the Mac Rumors XF forum and it says Add to Home page. The icon is the same and it does the same.

The "Install app" option will only appear for valid PWAs, whereas the "Add to Home screen" option appears for all other sites. The MacRumors site is not currently a PWA, and indeed adding it to my home screen just gives me an icon which opens the website in Chrome. It's more akin to a bookmark.

This forum (a PWA) displays the "Install app" option, which provides a distinct dialog box when selected, and the resultant icon does not have the Chrome logo in the bottom right corner. Tapping the icon displays a splash screen and opens the forum without the full browser UI.

That's weird because on my own site I have the "Add to Home screen" language, the bookmark icon, BUT it opens the PWA! And yes 100% it is the PWA not the browser. I wonder why lol.

Strange, I'm not too sure how that might happen. It might be worth removing the icon, closing and re-opening Chrome, and re-adding it to see if it's still the same. Though certain changes to PWAs can take 24 hours to propagate, so if something there is at play it may not be immediately obvious.

Top Bottom