Upgrading

ErrorCode

I know this might be the wrong forum, but I didn't want to post this in the Presales forum since... well, I'm not presale. :p

Anyways, I just have a question about upgrading. I don't understand how to. Yes, I've read the XenForo guide, but I'm still afraid of the way some of the things are worded on there. Do I OVERWRITE everything completely with the upgrade files, or am I supposed to do something else? Won't data be lost if I am supposed to completely overwrite the old files?

Typically it's always good practice to back up your files and the database. However when it comes to upgrading XenForo, ya all you do is download the "upgrade only package", upload replacing all files; then browse to the upgrade script(it will guide you to it when you click the admin panel) then let it do it's work :).

Next step would be going through and reverting any templates you may have done changes to and re-apply those changes. Hope that made sense!

So I replace everything, even the styles folder? Everything made sense, up until the part where you mentioned reverting templates and whatnot. What do you mean by that and reapplying changes?

So I replace everything, even the styles folder? Everything made sense, up until the part where you mentioned reverting templates and whatnot. What do you mean by that and reapplying changes?

When you upload the upgrade package it will replace all of the stock images in your styles/default folder. So if you've made a custom banner and simply replaced logo.png in styles/default/xenforo/ then it would get replaced when you upload your upgrade package. Which is why it's good practice to backup your files so you can upload your custom images after the upgrade is done.

As for the reverting, basically as XenForo grows new features are added. So to have these new features sometimes they require template reverts. It basically reverts the template to the original standard form as if it's a new installation(on the particular template you're reverting). SO if you've made changes to your template files, any of the customization you've done would need to be re-applied after you reverted.

You need to upload the new files, overwriting the existing files.

Some FTP programs have two forms of "overwrite." There is a "merge" and there is a "replace." You want to "merge" which means that duplicate files will be overwritten while all other files will remain (such as library/config.php and the contents of data and internal_data). This upgrade guide has a detailed explanation of uploading the files using FileZilla:

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/upgrade-guide.11085/

And backup first just in case.

Top Bottom