XF 2.1 Transfering database to another XenForo owner w/o members PW & emails

framer

Sorry for a long post,

In short, can I give my database to another XenForo owner but not give him access to members PW and email. His users would have access to my users names in the message threads and posting.

I've been running this board for 20+ years for picture framers around the world. It is a great source of information about issues that effect their business. It has over 1M posts.

In the last 10 years this industry has been contracting and sponsors have left. I getting too old to continue this fight. A few have offered but I worried that they just want to get the member list w/email to market to them. I'm also worried about members privacy writes.

I was thinking to just give the database to those that want to use it to start their own boards, I'd keep the XF software for future use, my registered name and ownership/control of the DB. XF would get new clients.

Thanks for answers,
framer

kkk

If you hand the database over then anyone with access to it will be able to view the email addresses of all registered members.

Normal members using a site won't be able to view email addresses.

You could wipe all of the email addresses first. With access to the AdminCP you can set up user accounts that lack email addresses, or erase an email address linked to a current user account without breaking said account.

Go into the database and figure out what the email and password fields are called, then just run a script to erase them all. Although for the passwords you probably want to instead use a password generator to make a random, long, password and then hash that before replacing all of the passwords in the database with that hash instead of whatever is currently stored in that field.

EDIT: Oh, and wipe the Payment Provider Log. That contains real first and last names, and email addresses linked to paypal and the like, of everyone who has subscribed or given you money in a manner integrated into the XF software.

Last edited:
Top Bottom