Thread reply bans should include option to also ban editing

Mr Lucky

If a user has been given a thread reply ban, it is generally because what they have posted inflmmatory or offensive or (otherwise against terms) posts.

But they can still edit their existing posts if they want, and could just add more offending material there.

So it makes sense that you may want to have the option to include an edit ban for that thread also.

Upvote 8
Hmm, yes - does make some sense if first glance.
But I don't think this is a major issue, at least our forums do have a time limit on editing posts anyway so most likely when a user does get banned from a thread this time limit (which is usually < a few hours) has already passed.

But I don't think this is a major issue, at least our forums do have a time limit on editing posts anyway so most likely when a user does get banned from a thread this time limit (which is usually < a few hours) has already passed.
True, but the capability is there to set any edit time and some admins want that.

I agree not really that necessary if you do have a short edit time, but what if you don't?

Wc allow our paying upgrade users several days, but they can still be trouble makers.

Also, I am moderator on one of the 1500 Verticalscope forums, and they have unlimited edit time.

I’m sure either of those are good, I’m just suggesting something for core xenForo without having yet another plugin or more user groups to faff with

I actually have a vague feeling that this is a dupe and that I voted on the other one. I'll check in a bit. (EDIT: Or not, can't find one anyhow).

That add-on is free, though, and might do the job. I'll probably grab it to test in my dev.

That does not deal with being able to stop them from reacting in the thread, though. I have had users with reply ban use reactions to stay active in the conversation (laughing at those who were opposing them and that sort of thing). Admittedly, people like that usually get a more comprehensive ban before too long.

I have had users with reply ban use reactions to stay active in the conversation (laughing at those who were opposing them and that sort of thing).
Yes, reactions too. I've had someone troll/spam via reactions when they couldn't reply. Good point.
Xon's add-on looks like a good solution, really. I have already implemented a couple other free add-ons from him.
I'm getting a bit confused now, are we not supposed to suggest features for xenforo's core, if there is an addon?

I'm getting a bit confused now, are we not supposed to suggest features for xenforo's core, if there is an addon?
I voted up this one so, no, I don't think this. But having a free add-on definitely reduces the urgency. If it is something we think should be in core, though, why not suggest it.

Yes but it is specifically called a reply ban not a thread ban. I like what you are suggesting and it should include all action including Reactions.

Last edited:
Yes but it is specifically called a reply ban not a thread ban. I like what you are suggesting and it should include all action including Reactions.
Actually, I like that Xon's add-on lets you set exactly what a "reply ban" does. You can even stop a mod who is reply-banned from a thread (I know, begs the question of why a mod is being reply-banned) from issuing warnings and otherwise moderating in that thread. So that kind of sets the standard for what it should look like.

I will say I have never used this function in XF, and I know XF does not like to add bloat. So for me it would probably work just fine as needed, if/when I need it.

Top Bottom