[TH] Social Groups [Deleted]

this is so weird
i installed social groups.
i create a xf original category CLUBS
create a social category name BOYS CLUB.
set administrative to ALLOW ALL permissions settings.

and i cant find a single button to create a thread under BOYS CLUB social category...
i even add myself as the moderator of the boys club?

the error shown when getting inside the boys club
"There are no social forums to display."

also sidebar is not showing on the sides

The permissions settings are very confusing...I found the only way to allow registered users to be able to create social groups is to enter a number or mark unlimited the number of groups they can create:
Usergroup Permissions -> Usergroup -> Social Groups Moderator Permissions -> Create social forums:

I know you are assigning moderator permissions to all general users but it seems every general user is a moderator of their own social group(s) that they create...I know, very confusing but Social Groups is a much needed mod for many sites

PHP:
Mysqli prepare error: Table 'DATABASE_NAME.EWRporta_blocks' doesn't exist

Zend_Db_Statement_Mysqli->_prepare() in Zend/Db/Statement.php at line 115
    Zend_Db_Statement->__construct() in Zend/Db/Adapter/Mysqli.php at line 381
    Zend_Db_Adapter_Mysqli->prepare() in Zend/Db/Adapter/Abstract.php at line 478
    Zend_Db_Adapter_Abstract->query() in Zend/Db/Adapter/Abstract.php at line 753
    Zend_Db_Adapter_Abstract->fetchRow() in EWRporta/Model/Blocks.php at line 16
    EWRporta_Model_Blocks->getBlockById() in EWRporta/Model/Blocks.php at line 205
    EWRporta_Model_Blocks->installBlockXml() in EWRporta/Model/Blocks.php at line 182
    EWRporta_Model_Blocks->installBlockXmlFromFile() in Waindigo/SocialGroups/Install.php at line 140
    Waindigo_SocialGroups_Install->_postInstall() in Waindigo/Install/20120809.php at line 129
    Waindigo_Install->_install() in Waindigo/Install/20120809.php at line 66
    Waindigo_Install::install()
    call_user_func() in XenForo/Model/AddOn.php at line 214
    XenForo_Model_AddOn->installAddOnXml() in XenForo/Model/AddOn.php at line 169
    XenForo_Model_AddOn->installAddOnXmlFromFile() in XenForo/ControllerAdmin/AddOn.php at line 212
    XenForo_ControllerAdmin_AddOn->actionUpgrade() in XenForo/FrontController.php at line 310
    XenForo_FrontController->dispatch() in XenForo/FrontController.php at line 132
    XenForo_FrontController->run() in /home/sociall1/public_html/forums/admin.php at line 13

I got this error upon trying to upgrade to the newest version.... This is true, because I do not have XenPorta installed.

PHP:
Mysqli prepare error: Table 'DATABASE_NAME.EWRporta_blocks' doesn't exist

Zend_Db_Statement_Mysqli->_prepare() in Zend/Db/Statement.php at line 115
    Zend_Db_Statement->__construct() in Zend/Db/Adapter/Mysqli.php at line 381
    Zend_Db_Adapter_Mysqli->prepare() in Zend/Db/Adapter/Abstract.php at line 478
    Zend_Db_Adapter_Abstract->query() in Zend/Db/Adapter/Abstract.php at line 753
    Zend_Db_Adapter_Abstract->fetchRow() in EWRporta/Model/Blocks.php at line 16
    EWRporta_Model_Blocks->getBlockById() in EWRporta/Model/Blocks.php at line 205
    EWRporta_Model_Blocks->installBlockXml() in EWRporta/Model/Blocks.php at line 182
    EWRporta_Model_Blocks->installBlockXmlFromFile() in Waindigo/SocialGroups/Install.php at line 140
    Waindigo_SocialGroups_Install->_postInstall() in Waindigo/Install/20120809.php at line 129
    Waindigo_Install->_install() in Waindigo/Install/20120809.php at line 66
    Waindigo_Install::install()
    call_user_func() in XenForo/Model/AddOn.php at line 214
    XenForo_Model_AddOn->installAddOnXml() in XenForo/Model/AddOn.php at line 169
    XenForo_Model_AddOn->installAddOnXmlFromFile() in XenForo/ControllerAdmin/AddOn.php at line 212
    XenForo_ControllerAdmin_AddOn->actionUpgrade() in XenForo/FrontController.php at line 310
    XenForo_FrontController->dispatch() in XenForo/FrontController.php at line 132
    XenForo_FrontController->run() in /home/sociall1/public_html/forums/admin.php at line 13

I got this error upon trying to upgrade to the newest version.... This is true, because I do not have XenPorta installed.

Found my own solution.... I may not have had it installed, but I DID still have the files on the server. Deleteing that folder solved this issue.

The permissions settings are very confusing...I found the only way to allow registered users to be able to create social groups is to enter a number or mark unlimited the number of groups they can create:
Usergroup Permissions -> Usergroup -> Social Groups Moderator Permissions -> Create social forums:

I know you are assigning moderator permissions to all general users but it seems every general user is a moderator of their own social group(s) that they create...I know, very confusing but Social Groups is a much needed mod for many sites

The permissions are weird, basically adding another layer to an already bloated permissions system imho. I've never been a fan of the xenforo permissions system, and that is my unfortunate 2 cents contribution I'd like to make now.

Set the social forums 'options' page permissions as the ones you'd like users & group mods to have,

Set the usergroup social group permissions to "not set - no"

Set all the social forum node permissions to 'inherit' (inherit the first 'options' permissions) but set 'request to join social forums ' to 'allow'. Test it with a normal user account, if options are missing like the 'create a social forum' button, set the corresponding "allow" permissions in the node permissions.

Easy huh. Now make private groups ;) may the force be with you buddy.

Also, how do we delete that group image that shows in users postbit/posts? damn thing is huge, and kinda ugly o_O

I had some people trolling by sending people links for leaving the social groups they are a member of. That really needs a confirmation page.

Additionally, at least one group lost its creator this way - there should be a way to assign a new creator if a group doesn't have one (or potentially, multiple creators?).

EDIT: I'm getting around this by manually setting is_social_forum_creator in the xf_social_forum_member table. I imagine then that it would be quite easy to add a new member administration link for assigning someone to be a creator (with a new permission too).

Some more feedback:
- You can set your 'secondary groups' to be any group you've requested access to, not just any group you're a member of. This is allowing people to pretend they are a member of groups they aren't a member of.
- It would be useful if there was a way to limit how many secondary groups users can assign - I have one user that has set 20 secondary groups so every post they make is ridiculously long.
- Currently the only way to reject someone's join request is to accept them then revoke membership. There should be a reject request link too.

Otherwise, the add-on is great :)
A *huge* improvement over the other groups add-on, that we've now scrapped.

Okay i had issues with 1.0.0 version when creating new threads so i updated and same problem exists.. here is the error.

Attachments

• socail group error.webp
    socail group error.webp
    31.9 KB · Views: 14
Okay i had issues with 1.0.0 version when creating new threads so i updated and same problem exists.. here is the error.
This maybe unrelated (most likely), but I've seen it cause the oddest issues, not to add that it is a security risk. Front Page (v1.4 from your screen shot)) ... Unless you actually use Front Page, it should be safe for you to remove those extension (via cPanel).

Okay i made progress as it has to do with forum watch mod If i turn emails off I am able to use the mod. With it on it fails but it with above error but it does make the forum. If i go to the correct pages.

Found another bug - the links to navigate through a social groups member list are actually links for the whole forum's member list (/members/?page=3 instead of /social-forums/groupname.X/members/?page=3).
You can access the group's member list pages by going to the correct url manually, so its just the links that are broken.

Couple extra bugs:
- You can't do moderation from the thread list using the checkboxes (e.g. tick the checkbox for 1+ social forum threads and then choose to lock/move/etc.). This makes mass moderation (and actions like merging) impossible.
- You can't delete a social forum unless its 'empty'... The only way to empty it is to hard delete/move every thread - which is made even more of a pain because of the above issue.

I'm just wondering if there's an importer or way to import old social forum posts and such from VB 3.8?

Found another bug (sorry about how many I'm reporting... I just like being thorough!)

Watching a thread doesn't work on threads in a social forum - you get no notifications.
Now this doesn't bother me because I use the watch forum add-on to watch entire forums, however it seems that if you watch an entire forum *and* you watch a thread in that forum, the thread-specific watching blocks alerts from that thread.

You mention support for XenAtendo. I assumed that meant each group could have it's own calendar, but don't see anything like that. Can you elaborate what you mean?

Great add-on btw!

You mention support for XenAtendo. I assumed that meant each group could have it's own calendar, but don't see anything like that. Can you elaborate what you mean?

Great add-on btw!
Support for XenAtendo just means that it works the same as for normal forums, so you can post events as threads in your Social Forums. If I was to provide any more support than that then I might as well just write my own Calendar add-on.

Every day I look into the Server Error Logs and I see a new entry of an error that seems to be coming from this mod:

Code:
Zend_Feed_Exception: Invalid parameter: parameter must be a non-empty string - library/Zend/Feed/Writer/Feed/FeedAbstract.php:438
Generated By: Unknown Account, Today at 1:37 AM
Stack Trace

#0 /home/xxx/public_html/library/XenForo/ViewPublic/Forum/View.php(30): Zend_Feed_Writer_Feed_FeedAbstract->setTitle(NULL)
#1 /home/xxx/public_html/library/XenForo/ViewRenderer/Abstract.php(215): XenForo_ViewPublic_Forum_View->renderRss()
#2 /home/xxx/public_html/library/XenForo/ViewRenderer/Rss.php(31): XenForo_ViewRenderer_Abstract->renderViewObject('Waindigo_Social...', 'Rss', Array, 'waindigo_social...')
#3 /home/xxx/public_html/library/XenForo/FrontController.php(533): XenForo_ViewRenderer_Rss->renderView('Waindigo_Social...', Array, 'waindigo_social...', NULL)
#4 /home/xxx/public_html/library/XenForo/FrontController.php(156): XenForo_FrontController->renderView(Object(XenForo_ControllerResponse_View), Object(XenForo_ViewRenderer_Rss), Array)
#5 /home/xxx/public_html/index.php(13): XenForo_FrontController->run()
#6 {main}

Request State

array(3) {
  ["url"] => string(78) "http://www.xyz.com/social-forums/test-social-group.67/index.rss"
  ["_GET"] => array(0) {
  }
  ["_POST"] => array(0) {
  }
}

Not sure if it means anything but the "test-social-group" was just that, a test one, it was deleted so not sure why it is listed in the "Request State" action

Every day I look into the Server Error Logs and I see a new entry of an error that seems to be coming from this mod:

Code:
Zend_Feed_Exception: Invalid parameter: parameter must be a non-empty string - library/Zend/Feed/Writer/Feed/FeedAbstract.php:438
Generated By: Unknown Account, Today at 1:37 AM
Stack Trace

#0 /home/xxx/public_html/library/XenForo/ViewPublic/Forum/View.php(30): Zend_Feed_Writer_Feed_FeedAbstract->setTitle(NULL)
#1 /home/xxx/public_html/library/XenForo/ViewRenderer/Abstract.php(215): XenForo_ViewPublic_Forum_View->renderRss()
#2 /home/xxx/public_html/library/XenForo/ViewRenderer/Rss.php(31): XenForo_ViewRenderer_Abstract->renderViewObject('Waindigo_Social...', 'Rss', Array, 'waindigo_social...')
#3 /home/xxx/public_html/library/XenForo/FrontController.php(533): XenForo_ViewRenderer_Rss->renderView('Waindigo_Social...', Array, 'waindigo_social...', NULL)
#4 /home/xxx/public_html/library/XenForo/FrontController.php(156): XenForo_FrontController->renderView(Object(XenForo_ControllerResponse_View), Object(XenForo_ViewRenderer_Rss), Array)
#5 /home/xxx/public_html/index.php(13): XenForo_FrontController->run()
#6 {main}

Request State

array(3) {
  ["url"] => string(78) "http://www.xyz.com/social-forums/test-social-group.67/index.rss"
  ["_GET"] => array(0) {
  }
  ["_POST"] => array(0) {
  }
}

Not sure if it means anything but the "test-social-group" was just that, a test one, it was deleted so not sure why it is listed in the "Request State" action
Thanks. I'll look into it. This is probably just Google bots following an incorrect RSS feed link in HTML header or something, so nothing really to worry about.

Jon, is there any update on fixing the errors that are continually appearing in my Server Error Log (post #118)

Top Bottom