[TH] Social Groups [Deleted]

Does this support private social groups? So that only members who have been accepted into the group can actually see the group's threads.
Yes. In fact, you can set any permissions you want, just like a normal forum, and then you set the extra permissions which members and moderators of social groups get.

I don't know if this is the right place to ask, but I'm looking for a way to create one (just one) extra member-area where instead of all members, only members who are part of a specific group are listed. So it's a forum for an organisation where everyone can create an account, but I want to highlight the members of the organisation as special users and create some "who are the members behind our organisation" page.

Is that possible at all, would this addon help me do this?
I'm not quite sure what you are asking for.

The main purpose of this add-on is to allow users to create forums from the front-end. However, there is a lot more to it than that and you don't have to allow members to create forums, so if you just want to create one forum, then that is fine.

I'm not really sure what you mean by 'create an account' though. No accounts are created by this add-on. Existing accounts just become members of groups.

Yes. In fact, you can set any permissions you want, just like a normal forum, and then you set the extra permissions which members and moderators of social groups get.

Can you explain the permission setup needed to have groups that require membership approval, to be private threads unless they are a member?

I'm stuck between the usergroup permissions, the node permissions, and the social groups options/permissions.

I'm in permissions hell here :D

also, has anyone put money forward yet to have the alerts system improved and invites implemented? If not, I need to buy your time again to have it all done in one sitting, are you up for it? :p

Can you explain the permission setup needed to have groups that require membership approval, to be private threads unless they are a member?

I'm stuck between the usergroup permissions, the node permissions, and the social groups options/permissions.

I'm in permissions hell here :D
I know this is confusing and delayed the release of the add-on for months because I wanted to come up with a better way of doing this (but failed!).

1. Revoke all the node permissions that you don't want a non-member to have -- so this would be the view thread content and view threads by others permission. This is the bit that you need to be very careful with, as there are some permissions that you can't set in step 2 (i.e, the size of attachments), so don't get 'revoke happy'.
2. Go into the Options screen, and under the member column, ensure the permissions you revoked above are checked.
3. Create a new social group with the moderated box checked and the open box checked.

That's completely from memory, so I hope that is correct.

also, has anyone put money forward yet to have the alerts system improved and invites implemented? If not, I need to buy your time again to have it all done in one sitting, are you up for it? :p
Not yet. Please send me a PM to discuss.

I know this is confusing and delayed the release of the add-on for months because I wanted to come up with a better way of doing this (but failed!).

1. Revoke all the node permissions that you don't want a non-member to have -- so this would be the view thread content and view threads by others permission. This is the bit that you need to be very careful with, as there are some permissions that you can't set in step 2 (i.e, the size of attachments), so don't get 'revoke happy'.
2. Go into the Options screen, and under the member column, ensure the permissions you revoked above are checked.
3. Create a new social group with the moderated box checked and the open box checked.

That's completely from memory, so I hope that is correct.

Not yet. Please send me a PM to discuss.

I'll give that a shot, and see if I can lock down a few groups.

As for the improvements, I'll have a think exactly what I'd be looking for, but off the top of my head I'm thinking alerts when people leave and join groups, group mod alerts when people join and need to be approved (Moderation queue flag as Andy.N mentions), mod alerts when people post in their groups, etc. And a invite system for members.

If anyone thinks I've missed stuff on the alerts side, let me know here. That and the invites system need to be nailed down in one shot. I'll PM you tomorrow (it's late here now) and get things rolling.

Is there any permission setting that gives admin a Moderation queue flag when someone requests to join?
Not yet. The add-on is designed such that moderators of social groups do not have to be real moderators. Happy to add this if you are able to contribute to it though, although I think using alerts would make more sense as this is universal.

I now see I can lock non-group members out of the threads, however I'm guessing that means once they are a member of any group, they are able to see all groups threads, regardless if they are moderated approvals or not?

What I'm getting at, is it possible to lock down individual private group, with access to only those with membership to it. Anyone else can't see in it, other then requesting to join it. Can a button for this be crafted? :D

I now see I can lock non-group members out of the threads, however I'm guessing that means once they are a member of any group, they are able to see all groups threads, regardless if they are moderated approvals or not?
That is not the case at all. Permissions are re-granted on a group-by-group basis using the options you have set.
What I'm getting at, is it possible to lock down individual private groups to only those with membership to it. Anyone else can't see in it, other then requesting to join it. Can a button for this be crafted? :D
As said above, this is already the case.

Not yet. The add-on is designed such that moderators of social groups do not have to be real moderators. Happy to add this if you are able to contribute to it though, although I think using alerts would make more sense as this is universal.
Yes, the group moderators are not real moderators and I don't want to give them any access to core XF moderating functions. Alerts would be just fine.
Will contribute so admin will get an alert for any pending join request for any group.

Yes, the group moderators are not real moderators and I don't want to give them any access to core XF moderating functions. Alerts would be just fine.
Will contribute so admin will get an alert for any pending join request for any group.
Thanks. PM sent.

Waindigo,

There are some issues i have ran into and the reason why we had you create this mod for us and it is email and alerts both going to people that are members of that social group. At the moment no one is getting emails and no alerts. I have double checked all settings. When can this be completed.

Waindigo,

There are some issues i have ran into and the reason why we had you create this mod for us and it is email and alerts both going to people that are members of that social group. At the moment no one is getting emails and no alerts. I have double checked all settings. When can this be completed.
You need to check the following option:
socialoption.webp
Alerts is not an option, never has been, and was never discussed originally. Happy to add this if anyone is willing to contribute to this.

This was discussed and here is part of the email. Also that button is checked.

2. Emails being sent to users of the groups when anything is posted not just an alert. Also they should have an opt out if they do not want to recieve email from groups. Maybe an option in there settings.​
This should be easy. I would estimate about 1-2 hours work, including alerting moderators when a user joins a group. Would you email moderators for all groups or just moderated groups?

AND from April 28th:

2. MATT: Emails being sent to users of the groups when anything is posted not just an alert. Also they should have an opt out if they do not want to receive email from groups. Maybe an option in there settings.
JON: This should be easy. I would estimate about 1-2 hours work, including alerting moderators when a user joins a group. Would you email moderators for all groups or just moderated groups?

TJ: All members of the group should be sent an email notification and an alert whenever a new thread is created in their group and whenever a thread is replied to in their group.

This was discussed and here is part of the email. Also that button is checked.

2. Emails being sent to users of the groups when anything is posted not just an alert. Also they should have an opt out if they do not want to recieve email from groups. Maybe an option in there settings.​
This should be easy. I would estimate about 1-2 hours work, including alerting moderators when a user joins a group. Would you email moderators for all groups or just moderated groups?

AND from April 28th:

2. MATT: Emails being sent to users of the groups when anything is posted not just an alert. Also they should have an opt out if they do not want to receive email from groups. Maybe an option in there settings.
JON: This should be easy. I would estimate about 1-2 hours work, including alerting moderators when a user joins a group. Would you email moderators for all groups or just moderated groups?

TJ: All members of the group should be sent an email notification and an alert whenever a new thread is created in their group and whenever a thread is replied to in their group.
This related to a completely different add-on request, as you well know.

I am sorry i have to disagree.
I'm pretty sure we agreed to disagree several months ago. I probably have email evidence of that too, but unlike you I'd rather not air my dirty laundry in public.
Perhaps you could encourage someone else to contribute to this since you have already contributed so much?

Top Bottom