1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[TH] Maximum Guest Views [Paid] 1.0.2

Limit the number of threads guests can view

1. ThemeHouse

ThemeHouse Well-Known Member

Audentio Design submitted a new resource:

[TH] Maximum Guest Views - Limit the number of posts that guests and/or unconfirmed users can view before register/confirming.

Read more about this resource...

2. vij

vij Active Member

Does it exclude search bots?

3. ThemeHouse

Yes, unless you assign your search bots to a usergroup

4. vij

vij Active Member

Just wanted to make sure that google can crawl this at all times without being affected by guest restriction.

But tell me this...Can bots be assigned to a user group? Not going to do that, but your statement intrigued me..

5. vij

vij Active Member

Could you please clarify. With the default options in Xenforo, this addon will not restrict bots. Correct?

6. vij

vij Active Member

7. vij

vij Active Member

Anyone using this addon (formerly waindigos) - please... if you could confirm this does not restrict bots.
    The answer given by @ThemeHouse left me with some doubt... and he has chosen not to confirm.

8. HWS

HWS Well-Known Member

We used it some time ago (before we deleted all Waindigo add-ons for quality & support reasons) and back then it had blocked Google bots.

9. ThemeHouse

We definitely didn't "Choose not to confirm", it was a holiday weekend and we were not in the office. But as stated anyone in the guest group -- including bots -- will be blocked. I'll look into a fix that will not block bots.

Jake

10. Jake without the fix for Search Engine Crawlers this Addon is useless - if useragents array will be the ultimate solution will have to be seen... they change over time

If you want to go with useragents I suggest something like this:

Code:
    $api_request="http://www.useragentstring.com/?uas=".urlencode($_SERVER['HTTP_USER_AGENT'])."&getJSON=all";
    $ua=json_decode(file_get_contents($api_request));
    if($ua["agent_type"]=="Crawler") die();
    They are up to date.

Dont get me wrong you have other great addons but this one is not productive at its current version

tajhay, Mouth and HWS like this.
  11. Mouth

Mouth Well-Known Member

I have used this add-on for some time and it does NOT block known bots. My Google Webmaster and Bing webmaster tools show no problems with these bots accessing all my content.
    It (v1.0.2) uses XF's inbuilt 'is_robot' check to allow them unrestricted access ...
    PHP:
            // Exclude robots

if (XenForo_Application::$versionId 1020000) {
                if (isset(
    $viewingUser['is_robot'])) {

$isRobot $viewingUser['is_robot'];
                } else {

$isRobot XenForo_Visitor::getInstance()->get('is_robot');
                }
            } elseif (
    XenForo_Application::isRegistered('session')) {

$session XenForo_Application::getSession();

$isRobot = ($session->get('robotId'));
            } else {

$isRobot true;
            }
            if (
    $isRobot) {
                return 
    parent::canViewThread($thread$forum$errorPhraseKey$nodePermissions$viewingUser);
            }

drastic, ThemeHouse and tajhay like this.
  12. ThemeHouse

Great! Guess I was wrong before :)

13. drastic

drastic Well-Known Member

You can thank @Mouth for referring this to me. He deserves a freebie...or at least a pat on the back and a stiff drink on the house!

14. drastic

drastic Well-Known Member

Would this addon or the first page free addon be better to use?

I was wondering why you guys, @ThemeHouse don't combine them. Make it first "pages" free and let admin set the amount of pages, which is pretty much what we do here, right?

15. Mouth

Mouth Well-Known Member

First page free lets a users view the first page of as many threads as they like. They could view each and every thread, first page, without restriction.
    This add-on, sets a max number of posts (thread pages) taht the user can see before being restricted to seeing any further.
    Both have separate restrictions and outcomes, depending upon which you think is most relevant for you.

drastic likes this.
  16. Define what a robot is and how it is detected . i still think that you need an up to date list of user agents or whatever you use to detect "robots" also there are many "bad" robots out there how to block them?

17. - Themehouse could you please answer?

18. Mouth

Mouth Well-Known Member

/online/?type=robot

You should be doing this via webserver configuration, not application add-on.

19. Where ware the "robots" defind and how? useragent? can be spoofed...

I can put the bad robots in htaccess you are right.

20. Mouth

Mouth Well-Known Member

library/Zend/Http/UserAgent/Bot.php I believe.
    Anything to identify visitor can be spoofed. No responsible or mainstream bot tries to spoof/hide itself.

Jake B. likes this.