[TH] Featured Threads and Content Portal

[TH] Featured Threads and Content Portal 1.0.6

No permission to download
When viewing a featured thread, you'll see "Featured by: username" below the featured thread's title on thread view. Here is a demo of it being shown.

I have a few questions:
  • How we can create threads with that layout?
  • Can we have a timeline when some of the most annoying bugs will be fixed?
    • Remove duplicate content from the various Widgets / List
    • Let us decide where content will be featured by the Automatic Criteria (Slider, Grid, List) and dont list them everywhere by default
    • When we will have the option to clean the "Filters" list a bit? With huge forums this addon is "difficult" to use for our users
This addon is cool, and have a "Newsfeed" in our forums is useful but is in a barebone state (and cost 60$), can TH at least finish to develop it?

@Dalton Prock image does not appear due the link with something after extension cannot be correctly processed by S3.
I just remove {$this->feature_background_date} in function getFeatureBackgroundUrl (feature.php) and now everything is fine.

The query string is there so if a user updates the image it's not going to have unexpected results due to caches, and isn't something we would be looking to remove. I'm not sure why query strings would be breaking image URLs for you, but all I can recommend is looking into the configuration of your S3 bucket to see if there is an option for this as this isn't something I'm able to replicate, for example, the thumbnail for this add-on:

https://media.audent.io/product/thumbnail/255/thumb_2x_featured-threads-doc-large.png?t=1234567890 (This one is going through the Amazon CloudFront CDN)
thumb_2x_featured-threads-doc-large.png

https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/...x_featured-threads-doc-large.png?t=1234567890 (This one is the direct S3 bucket URL)
thumb_2x_featured-threads-doc-large.png

• How we can create threads with that layout?

You can enable the article layout in Options -> [TH] Featured Threads and Content: Threads by checking one of the "Show first post at top of page" options

• Remove duplicate content from the various Widgets / List

This is already changed for the next update, but there are a few additional changes I need to make before it's ready for release

• Let us decide where content will be featured by the Automatic Criteria (Slider, Grid, List) and dont list them everywhere by default

There is an issue for this, I'll have a look in getting it added for the next update

• When we will have the option to clean the "Filters" list a bit? With huge forums this addon is "difficult" to use for our users

How exactly do you want to "clean" it?

First thanks for the reply @Jake B.

How exactly do you want to "clean" it?

For example let us decide how many node show in the Filters with a "depth" selector so if you have:
  • Games
    • Game 1
      • Game 1 - sub
      • Game 2 - sub 2
I can chose how mutch "depth" i want to show to my users to "customize" their experience. So if i want Depth 1 the filter will show only "Games" but every node below it will have his thread featured, or Depth 2 if i need "Games" and "Game 1 etc.

EDIT 29-09-2019 / 12:00 AM

Another suggestion i can think about, there should be a way to create a "stock images set" that the addon will assign if in the topic doesnt have one, so you have a nicer design overall.

Last edited:
I've come across a bit of a bug with the article view (so tick "Show first post at top of page" and then go to one of these pages). It also includes the show how many featured items a member has (which I like), but when you click on the link, it always takes you to the very first member who ever registered and shows their featured threads list. I found it on my live site first after deploying earlier in the week. I had the same problem in the demo I was running (but only found it after I had gone live on my site). I've tested it across various platforms (from MS Windows 10 to Android 9) and many different browsers.

So on the demo I had (which has now expired), if I was to follow the featured thread for "Morning Glory", I would get to the admin's featured threads view.
demo example link error.webp demo example link error leads to.webp

And exactly the same on my site, if I follow any member's featured threads (in this case TastyReuben), I get back to Shaun's featured threads list instead.
CookingBItes example link error.webp CookingBItes example link error leads to.webp

In both cases the link is the problem, it is referencing the first member rather than the featured threads member you are viewing at the point in time. https://sitename/members/audentio.1/#thfeature_featured_content

ThemeHouse updated [TH] Featured Threads and Content Portal with a new update entry:

Version 1.0.4 Released

Bugs Fixed:
  • "Show all featured items" link no longer incorrectly links to user ID 1
Features:
  • Featured item list no longer uses widgets, so items in the slider or grid will no longer show up in the main listing
  • New thread criteria to require the first post to have an attached image
  • Option to show first post at the top of the first page only instead of all pages

Read the rest of this update entry...

I've come across a bit of a bug with the article view (so tick "Show first post at top of page" and then go to one of these pages). It also includes the show how many featured items a member has (which I like), but when you click on the link, it always takes you to the very first member who ever registered and shows their featured threads list. I found it on my live site first after deploying earlier in the week. I had the same problem in the demo I was running (but only found it after I had gone live on my site). I've tested it across various platforms (from MS Windows 10 to Android 9) and many different browsers.

So on the demo I had (which has now expired), if I was to follow the featured thread for "Morning Glory", I would get to the admin's featured threads view.
View attachment 211356 View attachment 211355

And exactly the same on my site, if I follow any member's featured threads (in this case TastyReuben), I get back to Shaun's featured threads list instead.
View attachment 211354 View attachment 211353

In both cases the link is the problem, it is referencing the first member rather than the featured threads member you are viewing at the point in time. https://sitename/members/audentio.1/#thfeature_featured_content

That's been fixed in 1.0.4 :)

Apologies, came up with another little error for you...
not patch level 4.webpupgrade from 3 to 4.webp

though maybe just a bug on my system because it then shows as this after the upgrade is complete? not sure what went on there, leave it with you.
1569979991518.webp

I’m not seeing an error there, did it give you something after you confirmed that you wanted to run the upgrade?
ignore me, its one of those day. I think I read it backwards, I do that sometimes being dyslexic. I assumed it would say that I could upgrade to version 1.0.4, not that 1.0.3 patch 3 could be upgraded...

But I also have some other issues now...

Following the link now works, but then informs you that you have no content featured despite the fact you've just followed the link from a featured thread of your own... and the fact that it says you have in this case 2 featured threads...

1569990146639.webp

and I'm having issues with page layout now in the featured page itself. I can not for the life of me move the slider that is there and put the grid back between the slider and the content list. So previously it went from top to bottom - slider, grid, content. It won't do that now. There simply doesn't seem to be a way of removing the slider from the featured page (there's no widget putting it there, but I did have it there previous on 1.0.3 patch 3.

1569990306955.webp

Following the link now works, but then informs you that you have no content featured despite the fact you've just followed the link from a featured thread of your own... and the fact that it says you have in this case 2 featured threads...

I'll have a look at this

and I'm having issues with page layout now in the featured page itself. I can not for the life of me move the slider that is there and put the grid back between the slider and the content list. So previously it went from top to bottom - slider, grid, content. It won't do that now. There simply doesn't seem to be a way of removing the slider from the featured page (there's no widget putting it there, but I did have it there previous on 1.0.3 patch 3.

With the default blocks on the page you're not able to reorder the slider and grid as these are hardcoded onto the template. However, in Options ->
[TH] Featured Threads and Content: General Options -> Feature page options you can disable "Show slider on feature page" and "Show grid on feature page", then add them back using widgets, or you can edit the thfeature_featured_index template and flip these two code blocks around:

Code:
<xf:if is="$sliderFeatures">
   <xf:macro template="thfeature_macros" name="slider" arg-features="{$sliderFeatures}" arg-bypassDismissal="{{ true }}" />
</xf:if>

and

Code:
<xf:if is="$gridFeatures">
   <xf:macro template="thfeature_macros" name="grid" arg-features="{$gridFeatures}" arg-bypassDismissal="{{ true }}" />
</xf:if>

Setup and went live with this plugin last night. Incredibly easy to use and very clean. Well done!!

A few suggestions,
  • While I suspect it’s easier said than done, it would be neat if articles from Wordpress could also be highlighted.
  • We’re using the slider and love the way it looks. It would be awesome if however some randomizing could occur. If it could either scroll automatically every ABC seconds or if every time the page refreshes it mixes up the threads
Amazing work once again all who have created this!

• While I suspect it’s easier said than done, it would be neat if articles from Wordpress could also be highlighted.

WordPress integration would definitely be out of the scope of the intentions of this add-on, you may be able to auto feature threads that get created when an article on WordPress is made if you're using XPress, though

• We’re using the slider and love the way it looks. It would be awesome if however some randomizing could occur. If it could either scroll automatically every ABC seconds or if every time the page refreshes it mixes up the threads

I believe it is already supposed to automatically scroll, and we could definitely add in an option to randomize the order

I’ll start a discussion on Themehouse Jake. We just set this up yesterday so it’s completely possible I just missed something to make the widget automatically scroll. I’m also greatly interested in merging Wordpress via Xpress and am willing to help fund this idea.
I’ll start a ticket shortly. 👍

Can we have the feature action automatically resize the featured image attachment? Sometimes that attachment is very large and with a dozen high resolution images this can make the home page pretty lethargic.

Can we have the feature action automatically resize the featured image attachment? Sometimes that attachment is very large and with a dozen high resolution images this can make the home page pretty lethargic.

It already should resize them, I just did a test with a 2166x1484 image and it correctly resized to 1920x1080. You can adjust the feature image size in the options

I believe it is already supposed to automatically scroll
ours does not scroll either. Members have to click on the arrows to change the featured thread.

Also I have noticed that when you view a featured thread, with the tick for "Show first post at top of first page in thread" viewing the actual thread, there is no longer the option to bookmark or share the very first post which is awkward for us on a cooking site - members like to be able to bookmark the actual recipe, not the next post down.

1570588305959.webp

Top Bottom