Task Manager

Grover

(edit 08-08-2012: see this post http://xenforo.com/community/threads/task-manager.10479/#post-394896, where I mention how Facebook has now actually implemented the thing I am searching for in a professional forum package. If you like that to be in XenForo, please [like] this suggestion below. Thanks.)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am very pleased to see XenForo offering taskmanagement-functionality that helps administrators/modertators in their day-to-day moderating duties, like this: http://xenforo.com/community/threads/managing-reported-content.2192/

Assigning tasks and having statuses on these tasks is something I have been requested for a product like vBulletin (my 6-million-hit :) site is still powered by vB 3.8) for more then 6 (!) years now: http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php/120033-More-management-capabilities-for-our-private-Thread-Discussions-(staf-zone). Remarkably only co-member Alfa1 seemed to get the importance/value of such a request, because as you can see I am having a monologue with myself there...

Enough of this introduction. What I would like to see, next to the already great task-management-functionality when handling Reported Posts in XenForo, is a solution for this:

Situation

In my Staff Zone we (like so many other sites) have forums where we discuss problematic users and threads. In the past I (as the admin) used to be involved in these thread/user discussions heavily, but since a few years I have taken a step back, so now our Moderators are for 95% responsible for these discussions and subsequent thread/user management. I am hardly even reading those discussions anymore, but obviously there are moments when action of me as an administrator or owner is needed.

What happens is that if my involvement is needed, a Moderator opens a new thread inside a forum called ´To-do Webmaster´ and puts inside for example: a quote taken from a particular thread/user discussion where it will say something like 'Webmaster, can you please ban this and this IP address?´ or they will do without any quote and give me just instructions there or they just insert a link to the specific post in the Staff Zone that needs my attention. This work process is really starting to become annoying to say the least. I don´t have the time or energy or need to follow every single exhausting thread/user discussion amongst our staff team, but I do need to know immediately when action from my side is needed. How to achieve this in the most easy/efficient way possible?

Solution

How about a way to be able to poke the administrator or any other staff member from within the post to let them now their attention is needed? Just like you already can Report a Post. Just press a link (called 'Attention') and a popup... pops up... where you can select a person (by radio-buttons in front of the avatar, or a smart way that you actually select multiple avatars without any radio-buttons) from your Staff (every staff member should be listed, below is just a simple example) that you are addressing in that specific post.

Example:
(a staff member is addressing the Webmaster to ask him to ban some suspicious IP, but this request is buried deep inside the extensive discussion and the Webmaster never reads those discussions anyway. And if he does, it's easily overlooked)

attenion link in post.webp

Then this staff member will receive an automatic PM or maybe even better (trying to avoid another discussion outlet through PM): an alert... alerting her/him of this post that needs her/his immediate attention.

Next to `Moderation queue:0´ ´Reported Items:1` XF could display `Attention needed:4' or something like that.

Example:

frontpage fw v5.webp

This way we don't have go through all the hassle to manually PM a Moderator or put (repeat...) something inside the `To-do Webmaster´ forum in yet another new thread to get somebodies (much needed) attention. Key: We can leave everything, the whole workprocess concentrated, in one single thread/user discussion thread.

(^ That's why I also feel that it needs to be separated from the already available Report Post functionality, because this attention functionality works on (already available) threads)

(I am not sure about the implementation above, but I definitely need some kind of solution).

(I will add more to this first posting in due time)

Upvote 24
Task manager
Attention needed:
frontpage-fw-v5-png.11379

similar in design to this function:
http://xenforo.com/community/threads/dc-staff-room-unread.16951/
capture-png.15981

Thank you Digital PhD, for pointing me in the right directions! The Tag-Me Add-On will do absolute wonders for the workflow of me and my team in our Staf Zone! I wished for something like this for an eternity in vBulletin. If I ever switch to XenForo, this will be the first add-on I will install in my entire forum life (which started in 2001).

(Not sure about the 'staff room unread' add-on, because that only shows the amount of new threads in the staf zone and that is quite limited functionality so it seems?)

Facebook has now actually implemented the thing (in one way or the other) I am asking for (since jan 2011). Yes... and it works really great (as I already tried to illustrate in my postings above). When you write a comment on a Facebook posting, you can now type in the name of a Facebook member and while typing, names that fit in with what you are typing will appear in a dropdown box (just like on XenForo when you search for a member-name). And then when you select a name from the dropdown list, the name will appear as clickable text in your comment:

<cut>

And now the beauty of it all is... this member that you mentioned, will receive a notification in their email and notification bar that their name is mentioned -by you- in a comment. And obviously, they can click on that notification and this brings them straight to this particular comment!

So, this -more or less- turns out to be exactly what I was suggesting in my first posting above and it would do wonders for the task management of our ever growing site if XenForo would be able to implement such a thing in their -already Facebook inspired- product. I believe the benefits are so obvious.

Also the Google Plus network offers name tagging:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

... providing the same functionality as Facebook. Just put a '+' or '@' in front of someones name and you are done!

Now if only we could have this in Xenforo...

(preferably with added permissions, so for example only the people that I follow or only our staff members (moderators) can tag me as an administrator)

Facebook has now actually implemented the thing (in one way or the other) I am asking for (since jan 2011). Yes... and it works really great (as I already tried to illustrate in my postings above). When you write a comment on a Facebook posting, you can now type in the name of a Facebook member and while typing, names that fit in with what you are typing will appear in a dropdown box (just like on XenForo when you search for a member-name). And then when you select a name from the dropdown list, the name will appear as clickable text in your comment:

<cut>

And now the beauty of it all is... this member that you mentioned, will receive a notification in their email and notification bar that their name is mentioned -by you- in a comment. And obviously, they can click on that notification and this brings them straight to this particular comment!

So, this -more or less- turns out to be exactly what I was suggesting in my first posting above and it would do wonders for the task management of our ever growing site if XenForo would be able to implement such a thing in their -already Facebook inspired- product. I believe the benefits are so obvious.

Now if only we could have this in Xenforo...

I am really pleased this was introduced in XF 1.2 a few months later. Thanks a lot. So this part of the suggestion fits the label [Implemented] by now :).

Top Bottom