XF 1.5 SQL Query to Disable New Follower Alerts (For Existing + New Users)?

king8084

I'm looking to disable the "____ is now following you" notification for all users (existing & new).

Is there a query that can be ran to disable the setting for all existing users?

I'm also interested in finding a way to disable this by default for all new registrations thereafter. Unfortunately, the option isn't found in ACP > Options > User Registrations, so looking for an alternative, or something in phpmyadmin that can be set to run upon new registrations?

Appreciate any help.

Last edited:
@Brogan can you lend a hand? i've found a couple similar threads where you were able to pinpoint the query to run for this, but the others were "set all" or "set none" situations. i'm not overly familiar with sql, but research shows it would be similar to the following:

UPDATE xf_user_option SET alert_optout = 'user_following';

...but i don't think it's that simple, as "xf_user_option > alert_optout" is a comma delimited list, and i'm pretty sure doing the above would wipe out the rest of the alerts that are being opted out for each user.

the other side of things (preventing future registrations from having this set) i think could be handled via a php code alteration... i have to dig more to see where the user_following is referenced and the alert goes out for it. any insight where that lives in core would be helpful while/if i have your attention.

Top Bottom