XF 2.2 Slimming down a TEST/DEV site

Mouth

When you have a large amount of attachments on your primary site, having a test/dev site with a copy of those is onerous and costly for storage.

I'm thinking about only copying across any attachments ( data/attachments & internal_data/attachments ) that is dated within the last 3 months and/or removing anything older than that. For the purposes of testing, this should still enable me to review/test (upgrades, etc.) with recent content knowing that anything older than 3 months will 404 and not show the attachment.

Anyone done similar to this, and ran into any issue other than the 404 for older attachments?

You will just see broken placeholders.

I do a similar thing on my local - sometimes I just update it with the latest SQL dump and don't bother with the directories.

I also usually clone sites without attachments and avatars (or just a few for testing purposes); other than broken images (obviously due to the files missing) it should not casue any isseus with default XenForo - it might cause issues with 3rd party Add-ons (that do not implement proper error handling) though.

Top Bottom