XF 2.0 Simple homepage with just a picture hyperlink + MP3 auto-play?

CZ Eddie

I need a simple "homepage" for Xenforo 2.0 where there is just a picture and an auto-play MP3 audio file.
Clicking the picture would hyperlink you to the forum page.
Any suggestions on how to accomplish this?

I asked on the XenPortal 2.0 page if this was possible (MP3 autoplay) but never got a response from the dev.
And I think XenPortal is designed for more than I want/need.

That's a bit more work to do because you would need to create your own PAGE_CONTAINER. So if you want to have an autoplay with XF navigation, footer, background and container, that would be easily possible.

I actually don't want any XF navigation, footers or breadcrumbs or anything at all.
I just want a colored background. An MP3 file that starts playing when you open this homepage.
And a picture in the middle of the page that sends you to the forum page when clicked.
There shouldn't be *anything else*, anywhere on the page. :)

I figured out how to create a page node but it's got all the xenforo stuff in it that I don't want.

You could try and create a index.html in the root of your XF installation. Add your autoplay stuff there. In XF, change the homepage url to this explicit index.html

Other than that, as I said, you would need to create your own PAGE_CONTAINER.

Last edited:
Thanks, S Thomas. I'm still researching how to create a page_container.

In the meantime, your index.html suggestion had me notice that my test forum (created with Scotch Box) already has a index.php in the root.
It's the ScotchBox info page. So as a test, I deleted all the HTML and now it's a blank page.
If I were to mod this page, do you know if my mod will be retained once I move from test to live?
As in, will that index.php turn into my websites homepage?

Sorry for the newbie and possibly dumb questions.

index.php and index.html are not the same. The .php is the entry point for xf, don't change that unless you know what you're doing. Depending on how your server is configured, it will prefer .html over .php, but since you can set your homepage url to an explicit url, you could just create the .html aswell

If you don’t want the header footer You can create a new style that you edit PAGE_container removing the header and footer. From there create a new page node force the new style and set it as the home page.

Thanks, folks. But I can't seem to find PAGE_CONTAINER anywhere?
I go to Templates and don't see it there.
I searched templates for "PAGE_CONTAINER" and it didn't find anything.
I've Googled for the location but I seem to be the only newb who can't find PAGE_CONTAINER.

This worked great, thank you both!!

So I created the new style.
Wiped everything from PAGE_CONTAINER.
Then copied the forum's original homepage (vbulletin) page source text into PAGE_CONTAINER.
Then made sure the gif and .wav files were copied to the new xenforo folder in same filepath.
Created the new page node and set it to this new style (removed option for users to change the style).
And boom, the new xenforo homepage comes up exactly like the old vbulletin homepage!!!

I'm researching now to figure out how to set it as the actual homepage.

Top Bottom