Similar Threads - does it reduce posting?

Jon12345

Before upgrading to Xenforo 2.2, I had a Similar Threads add-on that would only show the similar threads when viewing a thread or after posting a new thread. The new version shows similar threads as you type.

My concern is two-fold:

1. It might discourage the creation of new content since they could abort their intended post

2. When you start typing your title for a new thread, you get the similar threads list below that title, although it doesn't label them as similar threads. I wonder if that would confuse newer members.

Anyone have some thoughts on the above?

You have to decide as an admin if you want members to discover threads with their answers or post virtually duplicate content. In which case members may even direct them to the previous content, so you have posts that are essentially redirects. Similar Threads is about efficiency.

A percentage of posts might have members linked to another post, but you still get the new content. It isn't a duplicate in that everybody asks questions in different ways. Google will munch on the new posts too.

I'm wondering if there is a facility to turn off the suggested posts when someone is typing in a new message. Only have them show after threads exist.

I think there is probably some playoff between making the site more useful to members by having this feature as you type a new thread, verses having new fresh content and threads for Google.

Also note that any Similar Threads feature (addon or core) on any platform will increase page load times so that's another trade-off you may want to consider.

Hey why don't I have that i upgraded to 2.2

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201007-075657_Chrome.webp
    Screenshot_20201007-075657_Chrome.webp
    23.3 KB · Views: 0
Google will munch on the new posts too.
But then spit it out as it isn't happy about the near duplicate content. I always want to people to find the similar threads before posting, so that they either don't post the duplicate or else post ijn the exiting thread with maybe a new angle on the topic.

The issue I have with a similar threads search when posting is if the forum is large and has been around many years, there is a good chance that the topic has already been covered and as such a member, even more so a new member, would see the topic already exists, navigate to it, find the answer or something resembling it, and won't have the need to post - effectively reducing any new content and participation that duplicated thread might have generated.

Repetitive topics can easily be merged by the moderators/admins so I encourage that for repetitive topics, however I prefer to let other new topics flow for a day, get some posts on them, and then merge them to older ones if the need arises. It's not all about pleasing Google, you have no need for Google if you don't have active members and a lively forum ;)

Top Bottom