XF 2.1 Setting up a Backup System

DigNap15

Hello
Since I have been into computers I have been into backups

And with the latest ransome ware hacks in Canon USA, Garmin (they paid!) and our New Zealand Stock Exchange

I have decided to set up a back system.

I am going to buy a cheap PC box, put WIndows on it and have it unconnceted to my home network.
And then Unzip my webhosts backup zip file

This is just so that I can run it as a test incase of real trouble!

Will this concept work?
Any suggestions

Last edited:
Thanks but I want to be able to test it in a live situation
I have lots of backups stored (but do they work)
Could I get my webiste up and running in an hour?

he will click "unzip all files" and windows will make "tada! your back up is tested successfully and it works great!"
I'll give it a go
Then it looks like I'll have to give Brogans system a go.
It just looks so complicated. (but very detail instructions)

What are my chances of geting a job as head of IT security at Canon USA or Garmin ?

It just looks so complicated. (but very detail instructions)
Buy yourself a cheap VPS instead (e.g $5/mth), to test the restore. Then disable it's webservice and use it for storing your backups. Re-enable your webservice when you want to test the restore.

Edit: sniped by Brogan :ROFLMAO:

Thanks for your suggestions.
The VPS idea was interesting, but once again new technology for me.
I like things under my control.
I am going to order a cheap PC box today.
So I give it all a go in a few days!

PS I used to sell and set up PC's back in the days of DOS and CPM.
Batch files and all of that.

I use a portable Flash Drive (1Tb) And download my DB via the host and all site data via SFTP
Then i make 2 Maps. 1 called "Websitename OB Date" and the one for the Databases "website DB OB Date"
If my site have big problems i have always a recent backup because i do this every week,

OB stands for "Official Backup" And DB for DB

If you follow these instructions exactly -- https://xenforo.com/community/resources/xf-on-localhost.7916/ -- it will work.
I wanna really, really, really wanna localhost installation which works over https, has push notifications, supports PWA, and optionally has Elasticsearch capability 🎶
Mel C was my favorite!

All I want is to be able to restore a backup from my webhost on a separate local machine just to see if it works.
If I have to do all of what is in your instructions I will give it a go.
I don't know what push notficatiions are, or PWA and why I would need any sort of search.
But I guess I'll find out.

Top Bottom