Send forum notification when admin posts thread in announcement forum

Alternadiv

I’m looking to automatically notify users when I make an important announcement. I suppose it could be done one of two ways:

An add-on that does this

A way to force users to watch the ID of that specific forum

A way to force users to watch the ID of that specific forum
I do this with a database query on one forum where it's a necessity, but on most forums it would be a privacy infringement.

The one case is a residents assoc. where the announcements are crucial. - ie neighbourhood watch crime bulletins.

Of course I could also do it via bulk user email, but it's simpler to just force them all via a query to be watching that forum. It works well.
e.g. Make usergroup (id8) watch forum (id17)
Code:
INSERT IGNORE INTO xf_forum_watch
(user_id, node_id, notify_on, send_alert, send_email)
SELECT user_id, 17, 'message', 1, 1
FROM xf_user
WHERE FIND_IN_SET(8, secondary_group_ids)
where is_banned = 0;
ON DUPLICATE KEY UPDATE notify_on=VALUES(notify_on), send_alert=VALUES(send_alert), send_email=VALUES(send_email);

See:

Th
I do this with a database query on one forum where it's a necessity, but on most forums it would be a privacy infringement.

The one case is a residents assoc. where the announcements are crucial. - ie neighbourhood watch crime bulletins.

Of course I could also do it via bulk user email, but it's simpler to just force them all via a query to be watching that forum. It works well.
e.g. Make usergroup (id8) watch forum (id17)
Code:
INSERT IGNORE INTO xf_forum_watch
(user_id, node_id, notify_on, send_alert, send_email)
SELECT user_id, 17, 'message', 1, 1
FROM xf_user
WHERE FIND_IN_SET(8, secondary_group_ids)
where is_banned = 0;
ON DUPLICATE KEY UPDATE notify_on=VALUES(notify_on), send_alert=VALUES(send_alert), send_email=VALUES(send_email);

See:

Thank you very much.

Top Bottom