Sample uses of RM for dinosaur-focused communities?

KensonPlays

I'm having a hard time coming up with uses for the Resource Manager for a community based around dinosaurs & with a sub-topic of dinosaur games (and "misc games").

Any ideas on possible uses for the Resource Manager? If I can't figure out any, I may remove it from my renewal when I can afford the renewal and do just base & Media Gallery alone.

We use Bob's UBS addon for blogging-related purposes, so we don't need Resource Manager for a blog-like feature.

I'm having a hard time coming up with uses for the Resource Manager for a community based around dinosaurs & with a sub-topic of dinosaur games (and "misc games").

Any ideas on possible uses for the Resource Manager? If I can't figure out any, I may remove it from my renewal when I can afford the renewal and do just base & Media Gallery alone.

We use Bob's UBS addon for blogging-related purposes, so we don't need Resource Manager for a blog-like feature.
Showcase is closer to what you are likely wanting. As far as I know, you can't remove Resource Manager from a renewal.

You can remove it.. but if you ever need/want it again, it's a total new purchase. I left it on my pipe site as it only adds $15 to the renewal cost and if in 2 years I want to move the script over to another domain that could use it, I have saved $35 by not cancelling (removing) it from my account.

You can remove it.. but if you ever need/want it again, it's a total new purchase. I left it on my pipe site as it only adds $15 to the renewal cost and if in 2 years I want to move the script over to another domain that could use it, I have saved $35 by not cancelling (removing) it from my account.
Ah yea I remember that, but, I honestly can't think of any use for it since we don't run a modding community or anything like that.

Keeping a resource for each game seems handy to me. It's a nice hub for reviews, download/purchase link, discussion link, updates, etc. Especially if you make some good custom fields, e.g. release date, platform, genre, featured dinos, etc. that would be handy to sort.

Keeping a resource for each game seems handy to me. It's a nice hub for reviews, download/purchase link, discussion link, updates, etc. Especially if you make some good custom fields, e.g. release date, platform, genre, featured dinos, etc. that would be handy to sort.
That is one idea. I will have to see if there's a way to implement it in a good way, since the site is "new" (a few yrs old but previously a WP blog and mostly read-only, just recently re-converted to XF) in some senses.

However, for reviews, people could just use a blog from Bob's UBS blogging addon which I have.

For galleries, yea, I can put in some fields for "dinosaur type," "diet" etc, but as for an actual use for Resources, I can already use forum threads and stuff for general discussions with custom fields as well.

---
Edit: Though, right now, I just have prefixes for various popular indie games in the forums area.

Last edited:
However, for reviews, people could just use a blog from Bob's UBS blogging addon which I have.
Personally.... I would look closely at Bobs RMS. It's better fitted for reviews.

Personally.... I would look closely at Bobs RMS. It's better fitted for reviews.

True, but right now, I can't justify the budget on a new addon. It may be a few months or even longer until I can. I could also just add custom fields to forum nodes or the UBS, for now.

It is something to think about though before you invest a lot of time into trying to force the the blog add-on into it.
You could do similar with custom fields in a simple node in an articles format.
I mean, I already have the blog addon installed, configured (mostly), and I use it for my own personal blog, while offering a limited blog of 1 blog per user (with more for premium tiers).

Top Bottom