XF 2.2 Redirecting from different URL?

parafly9

I have three sites in VB4.2.5, a primary one and two much (much!) smaller ones (at three unique domain names).

I am planning on just having a single Xenforo site hosted at the same domain name as the vb4.2.5 primary one. Then I also wanted to import the content from the two smaller sites into the same one, and just sunset those. (they aren't very active, but still do generate search traffic).

How would I handle redirects in this case? I know for the primary site it's straightforward as it's the same domain, but what can I do on my other two domain names where vb4.2.5 is installed, since there won't be a copy of Xenforo on them?

Also, on a related note. Regarding "Retain Content ID's" - is there any reason to select this? I don't think I have any hard-coded systems in place pulling that info. As long as I use the vbulletin redirect add-on, I should be sorted for this?

I have three sites in VB4.2.5, a primary one and two much (much!) smaller ones (at three unique domain names).

I am planning on just having a single Xenforo site hosted at the same domain name as the vb4.2.5 primary one. Then I also wanted to import the content from the two smaller sites into the same one, and just sunset those. (they aren't very active, but still do generate search traffic).

How would I handle redirects in this case? I know for the primary site it's straightforward as it's the same domain, but what can I do on my other two domain names where vb4.2.5 is installed, since there won't be a copy of Xenforo on them?

Also, on a related note. Regarding "Retain Content ID's" - is there any reason to select this? I don't think I have any hard-coded systems in place pulling that info. As long as I use the vbulletin redirect add-on, I should be sorted for this?
Bump on this one.

You will need to put a standard redirect on each of the other two sites, pointing to your active XF domain.

Something like:
Code:
RewriteEngine on
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^(.*)olddomain.com [NC]
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ https://newdomain.com/$1 [R=301,L]

Save the import log and use the redirection scripts as normal.

Content IDs can only be retained for the first import into a blank XF installation.
Some people just prefer to keep the IDs the same - there's no technical reason to retain them other than redirection can be done without the scripts.

You will need to put a standard redirect on each of the other two sites, pointing to your active XF domain.

Something like:
Code:
RewriteEngine on
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^(.*)olddomain.com [NC]
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ https://newdomain.com/$1 [R=301,L]

Save the import log and use the redirection scripts as normal.

Content IDs can only be retained for the first import into a blank XF installation.
Some people just prefer to keep the IDs the same - there's no technical reason to retain them other than redirection can be done without the scripts.

Thanks, no technical reason and also no SEO reason? There's no impact to SEO either?

Top Bottom