XF 2.3 Question about the ignore feature.. seeing their name in quoted text.

zzlpolitics

I swear that using this software in the past, if you ignored someone, you would essentially never see that user again. It was as though they were gone.

A user pointed out that you could see their name and "you are choosing to ignore this user. Show content? (or whatever)" if they get quoted and I was aghast when I saw it by testing myself.

I'm like beside myself about this because I swear if you ignored someone on here they basically disappeared from the website. The only way you'd know about them is if someone brought them up but you'd never see their posts, threads, or even posts where other people quote them.

Am I imagining this? Thanks in advance.

If this didn't exist, I would pay for an add-on where a non-ignored users post is also ignored if it's quoting an ignored user of yours.

Just checked a thread on my site where I knew someone I ignore had been quoted. The name still shows as "username Said" at the top of the quote box but the actual quoted text is hidden.

Just checked a thread on my site where I knew someone I ignore had been quoted. The name still shows as "username Said" at the top of the quote box but the actual quoted text is hidden.
IMG_5168.webp

This is what happens on mine. I swear one of the things I liked most about XenForo is that if you ignored someone, you would never see their existence again. It would ignore other users posts if they quoted the ignored.

I am like.. depressed.. if I imagined it or it was the functionality of vBulletin that did this. ahem

When you ignore someone, you shouldn't be shown anything of theirs.

To clarify, I am asking if ignore ever worked like I thought/am saying it should or I've been under the wrong impression. Just want to figure it out as I will make a post in the job offer forum, I want it that badly.

clarify, I am asking if ignore ever worked like I thought/am saying it should
I think with ignore you don’t see their post, but you see their name when they quoted but the quote itself is not visible. This seems to make sense to me because the post that is quoting them may only make sense if you know what the quote is.

I think with ignore you don’t see their post, but you see their name when they quoted but the quote itself is not visible. This seems to make sense to me because the post that is quoting them may only make sense if you know what the quote is.
I understand that but if I'm choosing to ignore someone, I would assume most people are wanting to ignore everything about that person. If a "troll" or even just a person who isn't trolling but you don't care for is constantly being engaged by people in a thread, you will still be aware of that person because apparently when people quote them, you don't fully ignore those posts either.

Does that make sense?

I guess I will say, if someone can make it so that an ignored person also has people's posts who aren't ignored but are quoting an ignored person, ignored too... I will Venmo them money.

This is what happens on mine. I swear one of the things I liked most about XenForo is that if you ignored someone, you would never see their existence again. It would ignore other users posts if they quoted the ignored.
Nope, it has never worked that way. What you show in the snip is exactly what I see on my site and what I have seen for as long as I have been using XF as both user and admin (10 years). So maybe you're remembering other software or an add-on?

I guess I will say, if someone can make it so that an ignored person also has people's posts who aren't ignored but are quoting an ignored person, ignored too
This seems like a bad idea. Depending on why someone is Ignoring the other person, they might still want to see those posts that are quoting them. I have a guy that I Ignore because he is our highest volume poster but a huge percentage of his output is incomprehensible crap (to me and many others, at least). However, replies to his posts from people who have more tolerance for wading through his mess are sometimes useful. So I think the current setup where a user sees the response and then can unhide the quote if they want to read it seems fine.

But if you can find an add-on or get custom built to do it the way you want, then go for it. No interest here, though.

Nope, it has never worked that way. What you show in the snip is exactly what I see on my site and what I have seen for as long as I have been using XF as both user and admin (10 years). So maybe you're remembering other software or an add-on?

This seems like a bad idea. Depending on why someone is Ignoring the other person, they might still want to see those posts that are quoting them. I have a guy that I Ignore because he is our highest volume poster but a huge percentage of his output is incomprehensible crap (to me and many others, at least). However, replies to his posts from people who have more tolerance for wading through his mess are sometimes useful. So I think the current setup where a user sees the response and then can unhide the quote if they want to read it seems fine.

But if you can find an add-on or get custom built to do it the way you want, then go for it. No interest here, though.
Thank you for clarifying regarding it not being the case ever I guess.

As to the ignore part, that's fair but most of the users I am aware of, including myself, if we ignore someone it's likely because we are sick of them and just want absolutely nothing to do with them. So, I guess I will put up a job for Super Ignore where are you also ignore users that are quoting the ignored user.

Thanks for the feedback.

Wouldn't that lead to very broken conversation and impossible to follow threads? How deep would the ignoring chain go? If user A is ignored and posts and it's hidden, user B replies to user A but their post is hidden too, what happens when user C replies to user B? You either wouldn't know what they were replying to, or if user C only quoted part of user B's post you wouldn't be able to see everything else they said.

I could understand not showing the quotes of ignored users, but completely hiding a post from another user just because part of it quotes an ignored user sounds like it would remove a lot of context from the thread.

Personally if it were me I'd just add <xf:if is="!$isIgnored"> and </xf:if> around the <blockquote> tags in the bb_code_tag_quote template. Then it just won't show the quote but the rest of the user's post is still visible. Hiding the post entirely seems like throwing the baby out with the bathwater to me.

Wouldn't that lead to very broken conversation and impossible to follow threads? How deep would the ignoring chain go? If user A is ignored and posts and it's hidden, user B replies to user A but their post is hidden too, what happens when user C replies to user B? You either wouldn't know what they were replying to, or if user C only quoted part of user B's post you wouldn't be able to see everything else they said.

I could understand not showing the quotes of ignored users, but completely hiding a post from another user just because part of it quotes an ignored user sounds like it would remove a lot of context from the thread.
Completely valid point.

I think one of the things at play here is peoples varying levels of interest in dealing with people that are ignored. Some people don't ignore people whatsoever because they think you're a pansy if you have to ignore someone. Just read past it they say. Others like myself, if I ignore someone, I want to have absolutely zero knowledge of their existence. I don't believe in wasting my time acknowledging that person. And then all the people in between those two extremes.

99% of the time that people ignore someone, in my experience, is because it's a troll who is engaging people and those people don't have the discipline not to engage the troll. So, it stands to reason that the people choosing to ignore that person, couldn't care less if the conversation may appear broken as they will just figure out oh it's because I ignored so-and-so. The benefit outweighs the cost in short.

I might have to find a vbulletin forum and check this out because the very first and most memorable forum I posted on as a child was that software and I think that's how it worked so that's why I'm used to it. I could be wrong.

Totally get what you're saying but I'm still pushing ahead. Further, I guess someone else has requested this before so I'm not alone.

IMG_5171.webp.

Personally if it were me I'd just add <xf:if is="!$isIgnored"> and </xf:if> around the <blockquote> tags in the bb_code_tag_quote template. Then it just won't show the quote but the rest of the user's post is still visible. Hiding the post entirely seems like throwing the baby out with the bathwater to me.
I will add this right now as that's a great solution but my above post I think still has merit, for me.

Thank you for helping me.

What you could have is instead the ignored member's username above the quote that isn't showing, you just have the text Ignored member. This means you don't have to suffer the torment of seeing their name, but you can still see the quote if you choose so to do.

What you could have is instead the ignored member's username above the quote that isn't showing, you just have the text Ignored member. This means you don't have to suffer the torment of seeing their name, but you can still see the quote if you choose so to do.
That's not a bad idea. I do think you guys are helping me hone in on instead of calling it super ignore, I should call it troll ignore.

Essentially the idea being this person is likely just dragging a thread down through having others engage them and so you're willing to bypass any discussion you might miss just to have that troll out of your life.

Thanks.

I am also very interested in such an add-on. Until now I had this one "XF2 Ignore/Block Essentials2-Way Ignore / Global Ignore ", unfortunately no one reports anymore and it no don't works with 2.3.

Back
Top Bottom