Prevent people posting above the fold

NealC

Obviously everyone wants top exposure and therefore will post in one of the top 5 or so forums as they are above the fold. What are techniques to prevent this and get people to post in the most appropriate forum? As my forum grows it's going to get harder to keep up with getting posts in their proper place.

I can't say I've ever seen that issue on any forum I've used.

The vast majority of threads are posted in the correct forum.

Are your forums named such that it's not clear where threads should be posted?

Sounds like the forums need have better defined discussion subjects. Also I don't think "the fold" has really been a thing on the web for a while (if it ever was), I think people know web pages can be scrolled, and with larger screens more content shows anyway. Sounds far more like a structure issue than people wanting their thread to be in on of he first few forums.

On one of your forums you have a "General Discussion" forum near the top. If it bothers you that they post there move it below the more focused forums so they have to scan the list. But if you have one of those "Post anything here related to the niche" forums, you can't really be mad they are posting there instead of a more focused forum. And it is more than likely related to activity and ease (placement) vs. exposure.

On one of your forums you have a "General Discussion" forum near the top. If it bothers you that they post there move it below the more focused forums so they have to scan the list. But if you have one of those "Post anything here related to the niche" forums, you can't really be mad they are posting there instead of a more focused forum. And it is more than likely related to activity and ease (placement) vs. exposure.
True, but I had an interesting discussion recently with one of my commercial members that didn't want to post his content near the bottom as it wouldn't be seen as much as the top forums. I told him that most find posts through the New Posts / What's New system anyways, the forum shouldn't really matter.

It's just an interesting observation and mixed with my OCD at some point I'll have to give up redirecting threads.

I've only had that issue with people posting ads in discussions, similar reasoning, they want to post where more activity is (not so much top/bottom). With discussions, I don't move it if it "can" fit where they posted it but it "would" fit better in another. Since it fits, I leave it.

Top Bottom