XF 2.0 Preparing for Xenforo 2

RaptureForums

Hi,
I am looking forward to the new Xenforo release and thought I'd start trying to prepare my forum for the upgrade now. I've seen many comments saying that the XF add-ons for XF 1.x will not work on XF 2.0, so I thought I'd go ahead and start uninstalling some of the add-ons that I do not need now. I have a couple of questions if anyone could help me answer them?

1. For XF 1.x add-ons, should I just disable them or uninstall them completely? Which is best? I think just about all my add-ons are ones that my buddy AndyB made and I know he is hard at work now trying to make them ready for XF 2.0 Knowing he is behind them and has released some for XF 2.0 I thought I'd just uninstall them, but wasn't sure if it was easier to just disable them and then just upgrade from there? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. :-)

2. I looked over the README for the RC 1 of XF 2.0 and saw something about CLI (whatever that is) and what seems like an over-my-head way of running an install script using code, etc. I thought the upgrade process was essentially like before in that we download the zip file, extract the contents, upload over existing files, and then run an upgrade script in the browser? Is this the correct way to do it or has that changed? Like I said, I was lost on the install part and the technical aspect was over my head. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

3. Finally, what is the location of the upgrade script to run for XF 2.0?

If these questions have been answered in another thread I missed, please free to direct me to it.

Thank you. :-)

1. All your addons will be disabled automatically during upgrade. None of them will work with XF2. You can uninstall them after upgrade.

2. Yes, upload/replace new files, then go to your forums/install/ to do an upgrade.

3. It's: your_forums/install/

Note: If you are not able to run upgrade (getting blank page with ridiculous messages), which was my experience, edit \src\XF\Install\App.php, change set_time_limit(0); to // set_time_limit(0); and try again.

PLEASE MAKE BACKUPS! Before you do anything, please backup your database and home directory. If anything goes wrong this will save your life.

Thank you for the tips Valter and for replying in my thread. That was very helpful. :-)

I'm going to backup the forums database and forums folder with all the files in it in case there is a problem. I'm even thinking of letting XF do the installation for me the first time for their nominal fee so if there is a problem upgrading they will know what to do.

I checked with my host last night and my dedicated server is all set with the minimum requirements. Can't wait to get the forums upgraded. :-)

I was able to get with my host and have them make a backup for me to test the XF2 software and I only had one problem at the beginning when visiting the install area. Apparently my server did not have all the PHP functions or whatever they are enabled despite them telling me a couple of days ago that everything was enabled. No big deal though. After getting that fixed, I had no issues whatsoever with the installation. Being that I'm on a dedicated server, there were no hiccups on the installation process. It loaded up like a breeze and looks good. The installation process is just like before and works very well. I'm pleasantly surprised and how cool the back end area of the forums looks. The XF team did a great job all the way around with this software. :-)

I'm not getting any error messages on the forums. It seems we might have a GOLD version right around the corner. :-)

1. All your addons will be disabled automatically during upgrade. None of them will work with XF2. You can uninstall them after upgrade.

Somewhere there is a post saying that uninstalling after upgrade does not remove the data. (I'll try to find it)

But then if have xf1addons that do have an xf2 version, it could be that you need to keep that stuff in the database.

But for the addons that won't have an xf2 version, then I would uninstall before upgrading.

If you want to remove the files and folders from the xf1 version, then you do this manually from the /library/ and /js/ folders.

Top Bottom