XF 1.5 Possible to Have One Thread Show in Multiple Nodes?

king8084

I have thread A
and I want it to display in both Node A and Node B

is this possible? via an add-on or otherwise?

rationale: I want to consolidate multiple sub-nodes into a single parent section. That "parent" node will have all of the threads of the combined "child" nodes. If wanting to view the threads specific to just the sub/"child" node, then you could also view them there. More speciifally:

Node A to contain:
thread 1
thread 2
thread 3

Node B to contain:
thread 1

Node C to contain:
thread 2

Node D to contain:
thread 3

I see what you are after. Like the way shopping sites work.

So if you are selling a Ford Mustang in the category: "Ford >> Mustang," the thread appears in:

Ford and Mustang, and not just Mustang.

For XF1:

For XF2:

For XF1:

For XF2:
thanks for calling these out. Forum Digest gets me super close, but not having the ability to choose which nodes to show the pinned threads in and which to not is unfortunate. ex:

Node A ("parent")
thread 1 (pinned)
thread 2

Node B ("child")
thread 1 (pinned)
thread 2

Node B ("child")
thread 1 (pinned)
thread 2

there appears to be no way to show Node A's pinned threads in Node A, and Node B's pinned threads in Node B, but to not show the pinned threads in Node B as being pinned in Node A. i.e., i'd like to show the threads that are pinned in Node B & C in Node A, but not as pinned.

the "show sticky threads in digest view" setting w/in the add-on will either show no pinned threads at all or show all pinned threads (i.e., Node A will show both Node A & Node B's pinned threads as pinned).

this presents a problem is Node B has 5 pinned threads, Node C had 5 pinned threads, etc... because then Node A will show all of those threads within it as pinned... which will quickly add up to a LOT of pinned threads in that parent node, if having multiple nodes underneath it.

i'm either left with:
1.) having no pinned threads from the parent and children in the parent at all
2.) having a LOT of pinned threads show as pinned in the parent.

really appreciate the help and i'll see what i can do to mitigate!

Hi @Xon replying here regarding my thread & your response here.

I wanted to verify a couple things prior to purchasing (xF 1.5):

1. My desired setup is to have 1 parent with multiple sub-forums under it. Both the parent and the sub-forums can have their own threads, but with all of the threads (those from both the parent & the sub-forums) displaying in the parent. It sounds like this is feasible with this add-on, but wanted to gut-check
  2. How do sticky threads work? Ideally:
    1. I'd like it for the parent and sub forums to have their own stickied threads. Meaning that a thread from the parent can be stuck on the parent, and a thread from the sub forum can be stuck in that sub forum...but sticking a subforum thread should not also show it as being stuck in the parent (or in any of the other sub forums).
    2. When posting in a sub forum's sticky thread, it would be great for it to show in the parent forum as being a recently replied to thread. i.e., aggregate the sub forums' stickied threads into the parent, but to display them in the parent as a normal/non-stuck thread. Let me know if this doesn't make sense. Essentially, still showing the stickied sub-forum threads in the parent thread, but not as a stickied thread in that parent.
  3. Is it possible in the config/persmissions to not allow users to disable the aggregation? i.e., always have it turned on for a forum?
  4. If I'm reading correctly, when posting a new thread from the parent forum, it gives the option of which sub forum to post the thread into (?). If so, then is there a visual to show what that looks like?

Let me know if you'd like clarification on any of the above.

Thanks!

1. Yes this is how it works; you can configure per-child forum on if the relevant threads show up in the parent forum.
    1. Sticky threads are only sticky in their own forum (ie not the parent forum). They will appear in the parent forum as normal threads
    2. If you reply to a stickied thread from a child forum, this naturally bumps it in the parent forum, as it now has a new reply and is listed like a normal thread.
  2. There is permission to manage forum aggregation settings, if they don't have permission they can't opt-out or change the defaults.
  3. It is basically a version of XF2's "Post a thread" form where you select the forum from a list.
The XF2 version has integration with the filter UI to show which child-forums are included. I'm not looking to add additional features to the XF1 version, but the XF2 version has all the listed features of the XF1 version.

Appreciate the quick response. I’m going to take a look into purchasing/implementing in the next few days. This seems to be a really solid option — thanks for another great add-on!

EDIT: apologies — I had thought I posted my post above in the add-on discussion thread request instead of here. Mods, feel free to move the past few posts to here instead.

Reactions: Xon
Top Bottom