XF 2.0 permissions issue

Jake Sully

So i'm trying to set few nodes/categories to guests only so they can post as guests, but have 0 luck. I have setted everything as it should but there is still no post thread button or anything, i'm clueless and i have setted this premissions in both node and on the group, still nothing.

Same with administrator thing, once i put everything on no for registered group for these sections, then it effects both admins and guests :/ if i sett it back to yes then admins can posts into these sections. Idk why it's following the registered group when admin is admin and they should have full access without needing to be in registered group.

What i want todo is make etc

Category 1 = same as bellow
--- Section 1 = guests and admins to be able to post, while admins moderate new posts/topics that has to be approved before it's shown

Main problem:
But so far once setting no on registered and yes on few on guests and yes on all on admin both guests and admin still cannot start a new topic/post reply. This is main problem, but if i put yes back on registered then admin and members can post. I don't want members to post and even view the section.

Any clue how to fix this? Since i have tried everything but it just wont work.

I don't think you understand how permissions work.
Read this:
https://xenforo.com/xf2-docs/manual/groups-permissions/#how-permissions-are-applied

Basically, any validated user (not guests) is in the registered group primarily and should be (don't ever change that).

Unless you will have a lot of usergroups, it is best to see the registered group as your "base/primary" group. And anything else is "secondary". For the start this is the best and easiest way to understand permissions. For advanced it is a bit different.

Now, give your registered group the most basic minimal permissions, like "can view node", can "post", whatever. Set to yes, rest leave it. Remember, all users are in the registered, so this effects everyone, admins, mods, normal users, and other usergroups if you have any. Set the minimal rules which applies to all.
And then you give the additional permissions. Like "can ban" : yes for admin usergroup etc. You customize the secondary groups, which all are based on the registered. If you gave the registered group "can post", you don't have to set it again for the secondaries. You adjust the secondaries based on the registered.

By the way there is a difference between "being in the admin usergroup" and being an admin. One defines the general permissions, the other one gives you real moderator rights (ACP -> Group and permissions -> Staff -> assign users).

All explained in the link.

Last edited:
I don't think you understand how permissions work.
Read this:
https://xenforo.com/xf2-docs/manual/groups-permissions/#how-permissions-are-applied

Basically, any validated user (not guests) is in the registered group primarily and should be (don't ever change that).

Unless you will have a lot of usergroups, it is best to see the registered group as your "base/primary" group. And anything else is "secondary". For the start this is the best and easiest way to understand permissions. For advanced it is a bit different.

Now, give your registered group the most basic minimal permissions, like "can view node", can "post", whatever. Set to yes, rest leave it. Remember, all users are in the registered, so this effects everyone, admins, mods, normal users, and other usergroups if you have any. Set the minimal rules which applies to all.
And then you give the additional permissions. Like "can ban" : yes for admin usergroup etc. You customize the secondary groups, which all are based on the registered. If you gave the registered group "can post", you don't have to set it again for the secondaries. You adjust the secondaries based on the registered.

By the way there is a difference between "being in the admin usergroup" and being an admin. One defines the general permissions, the other one gives you real moderator rights (ACP -> Group and permissions -> Staff -> assign users).

All explained in the link.
well that's not my answer, i want guests to be able to post in sections for guests only. While members only sections will be visible only when registered & logged in. But sadly this isn't working at all.

Top Bottom