More obvious way to get the rich text editor back

Mr Lucky

It's very easy to inadvertantly tap the bbcode cogwheel icon when scrolling on mobile.

Once a user has done that, unless they know what it is which many don't, then they have no idea where al the icons have gone. At least in xf1 there is a link back to rich text editor, but it's not there in xf2.

Obviously this is not a problem for experienced and advanced users, but it is for people who don't know what is going on, all they see is an orange cogwheel that gives no clue.

Upvote 9
I run into this issue even with myself. I spend 10 seconds cursing at the computer then realize the stupid cog is enabled. Why doesn't this seem to have been an issue previously?

I run into this issue even with myself. I spend 10 seconds cursing at the computer then realize the stupid cog is enabled. Why doesn't this seem to have been an issue previously?
Before xf2 there was an explanation.

It still keeps catching me out, I do a keyboard shortcut for italic and suddenly get the post as an email...

I thin k it's the way the internet is going, cryptic icons rather than user friendly text explanations and links.

I think it would be nice to have a toggle outside the editor so it’s easier to switch. It would also be nice to be able to then toggle between them and have the buttons disappear to make a cleaner editor appearance for when you don’t need the RTE.

Plus the ability for the admin to then choose the default display to hide the editor buttons by default site wide, perhaps with a user preference to override it, or perhaps just when on mobile. This makes replying easier and looks much better on small screens.

@truonglv has a nice implementation on some of his add ons, where it starts clean and you only activate RTE if you really need the functionality.
You can’t toggle it off again though.

View attachment 449025EE-C348-46AD-88A9-2F91EFAD5DB9.MP4

It is a little jarring though the way the buttons just appear out of no where. The stock profile posts system does this too. It would be nice if they eased into focus, like the thread list new post box.

transition.gif

Last edited:
Top Bottom