1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Memcache vs APC multiple xenforo´s forums

Discussion in 'Server Configuration and Hosting' started by Claudio, Nov 20, 2011.

1. Claudio

Claudio Well-Known Member

I´m trying to understand which software will be better to use...APC or Memcache

Also I´ve read that Kier said that APC was better for multiple forums on a server, but that it´s not clear for me...

Can anybody help me?
  2. Floris

Floris Guest

How many servers do you use for your forums, and how many forums do you run?

If you have 1 server, with just a few xenforo instances on it, APC is an extension for php and I use this myself, with a good experience. You can set per-forum cache prefix.

If you have multiple sites clustered over multiple servers, .. memcached might be a better solution.

Either way: your site will most likely benefit from caching, xcache, memcached, apc, or file system caching.

3. Claudio

2 vbulletin 4 forums
    2 xenforo forums (actually one and I´m planning to install other one)

I also use cPanel and nginx
  4. wrx1

wrx1 Active Member

All on one server or multiple servers??

I am running 2 smaller linode vps servers (1 for the web side and 1 for the DB side), with apc install on the webserver and memcached installed on the DB server. My site is fairly fast for 2 little 512MB slices and the amount of traffic I get. Once I got the memcached sorted out (documentation was wrong), there was a noticeable increase in site speed. Then I just have APC installed and let XF determine what goes into the APC cache.

dieketzer likes this.
  5. Niteblade

Niteblade Member

Whoa. I didn't know cPanel supported nginx. Or are you doing some custom stuff?

Just curious,
  6. Claudio

7. Claudio

mmm it is confuse for me, I have installed cpanel on my server and I´m trying to understand what would be the best option for me, if memcache or apc for 4 forums in the same server but with different cpanel accounts (through whm) for 2 vbulletin 4 forums and 2 xenforo forums

I didnt understand anything you said o_O
  8. Shamil

Shamil Well-Known Member

Has anyone tried memcache + APC on a single-server setup, i.e use APC for PHP-opcode caching and Memcache for the others?