Mahoning Valley Talk (Feedback Please)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm very happy to have Mahoning Valley Talk mentioned in any way on the 1st page of google results for Mahoning Valley, whether that's the homepage, or a link from another site.

Like I said, no one's even posting on the site but me, altho I do get alot of visitors and traffic, so I'm happy with this.

Well from here in the UK Peggy if I google Mahoning Valley Talk you are ranked number 1 (Google), Mahoning Valley Community ranks this Xenforo page on the first page (so an indirect link), as does Mahoning Valley Chat. Picking a random thread, "Youngstown against crime" ranks your post about it, number 2. So your ranking is getting good, I'm not surprised your traffic is lots, make sure you get some juicy thread titles in there and it will get even better.

Browsed the site and you're writing great posts Peggy, keep it up. Good luck with the site.
Since it's about the area, perhaps contact some local papers to get some attention for it

Hi Peggy, I signed up on your site to see why as you say no one's posting. Here are some observations / suggestions.

1. If I just wanted to chat with you, why would I sign up on a forum when I can find you on twitter / FB etc. The point is, almost all your forum categories show you as the main poster. This is a terrible put off. If I am on a forum, I expect people, lots of people. So even if you haven't got any, new visitors shouldn't think so. You should invent at least 4 or 5 alter egos and divide your posts between them. People who are attractive, smart, funny with cool avatars...Once real folks start posting, phase out these fake users one by one.

2. You have 77 people who have liked your FB Group. Why aren't these people being thrown in the face of new visitors? My suggestion, get a sidebar on all threads and forum pages. You may not agree with a sidebar on all threads, but if you want to start a new successful community, the most important thing to do is "Rope In" people. For that you got to throw certain information on new visitors. New visitors almost always land on some thread page and they will leave reading that thread. If however, within that short available time you show to them some very attractive people around, they might stay.

3. For a very specific site, your categories are amazingly generic. Instead of "Entertainment", "Politics", "Sports" you should have names which ring a bell in the mind of your target audience. Use the local lingo, maybe some local references, anything to make the audience think of something familiar to them.

4. Spend money. Your forum is very specific to an area. The more specific a niche, the easier it is to get paid targeted audience. Most web hosts when you sign up give you some sort of Adwords credit. Even if you don't have Adwords credit, spend about 100-150 $ and make very specific ads for very specific keywords for the audience in your target area. Adwords over time can cost you as little as 0.05 - 0.1 $ per click or even less. These targeted people would then at least browse 4-5 pages even if they don't sign up. That gives you a much larger timeframe to make an impression.

5. After folks sign up, they land on this page

http://mahoningvalleytalk.com/register/register

That is the signup complete page. That is the one page where on any forum, you have the user's undivided attention. And that is the one page which most forums leave as default. Edit that page's template to provide interesting information/ help about your site / Like box etc.

Hope some of my suggestions help you...

Thanks for the tips Sadikb. Trust me, if I had the extra money to spend on this site, I would. I have printed flyers, business cards, taken out ads in the local paper, and it's been mentioned in an article in the local paper as well as on the local news on TV - all of which I credit with bringing me the traffic that I do have along with using FB and twitter as well.

That's as far as I'm willing to go with this site. If it grows, fine. If not, that's fine as well.

Thanks again! :)

And thanks Floris, DD, Ingenious, and everyone for the great feedback.

It's sad to see this community site getting closed :(

Peggy instead of updating every community stuffs from your profile you should ask those friends to like facebook MTV page and update status through page . People might get interested in forums slowly after that .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom