XF 2.2 Lagging issues in login, chat, other places

WRIST.pub

Hey. So over the past month we've noticed some major lagging issues. Signing on, clicking on the "Forums" link, and where it becomes most noticeable is when we're in Siropu chat trying to play Trivia. (8-10 people in chat). But forgetting chat, sometimes the site flies, other times we're sitting and waiting 8-10 seconds just to go to a regular page. I have GoDaddy for hosting, one of their higher end accounts with virtually no traffic on it. The message board is definitely the busiest site, but, even so, I think we're probably small compared to others. 1500 members, but only about 150 or so active per day. I've disabled any addons that we've added in the past month or so that this has been happening. When it does get bad, I quickly go and check my server to see if there's any unusual activity and nothing lately. MySQL database is about 900mb. Had about 80,000 mail messages, I trimmed them down to 40k.

Anyone have an idea? Sent staff a ticket, they said look for new hosting, which honestly sounds like BS considering the circumstances. Looking for OTHER suggestions. Thank you in advance.

Reactions: OCC
I have not. And without sounding anything but sincere, I'm just wondering why? Are you thinking maybe something that was running fine previously became corrupt or partially incompatible with a newer version of Xenforo? I mean, I can do it, sure, it'll cause issues in the site like no comments and all sorts of other stuff, but before I do, I'm just looking for what you might think could be happening. Thank you.

I have not. And without sounding anything but sincere, I'm just wondering why? Are you thinking maybe something that was running fine previously became corrupt or partially incompatible with a newer version of Xenforo? I mean, I can do it, sure, it'll cause issues in the site like no comments and all sorts of other stuff, but before I do, I'm just looking for what you might think could be happening. Thank you.

Unfortunately we do not know the quality of code of every addon a site uses, so if we disable all addons it eliminates that as a cause of the problem.

If after disabling all addons the problem persists, the next place to look is likely the hosting environment. You mention:

one of their higher end accounts

Is this a shared hosting or VPS or dedicated server?

Welp, no clue. Disabled all, sure, site flew. Tried adding in one at a time, thought I'd found the culprit a couple of times, but when I'd go an disable, things were fine, great, must have found it, enabled it again to double check, nope, site flew.

If the issue happens with different add-ons enabled and no specific add-on then it points to a hosting/server issue - most likely a lack of resources.

Shared hosting can be hit or miss, depending on how overprovisioned the server is, the specification, config, etc.

So I've been thinking about this, and how the lagging didn't come on all at once, but sorta' crept up upon us and it made me think of what may have changed. Sure, some add-ons, but I've disabled them. The only other thing we've done is added a number of forums, and this morning I went an counted all of our "forums" and we have 203.

Is there a practical limit? Is 203 out of the ordinary? Do any of you know of other forums with this many, or more? I realize this thread will only get a few viewers, but I'm hoping that staff may have knowledge of either limits or just larger forums. We don't have huge amounts of traffic by any means, maybe 10-15 people max at one time, and about 150 on average per day.

Thanks again for indulging me with this. :)

I wanted to change the title of my last thread but found I couldn't do so, so, another thread. I'm trying to determine what might be causing lagging issues when posting, chatting, logging on, etc. They have slowly crept up on us, sometimes it is just a second or two, other times 5-10 seconds, and at worst, 30 or more seconds.

One of the things that I wondered about was whether there were practical limits for things, like, the number of forums and sub-forums. We have 203 total. We're a writing site, and we hold monthly contests (each month gets a forum, 4 years, that's 48 of them), and we just added a sections for series, each series gets one, we had 12 writers set up series, each actual series gets one too, so 12 x average of 5 = 60 new forums, and so on. The forums were a recent add.

Anyone have thoughts on whether 200+ could be taxing the software? Thank you.

The number of forums won't be the cause of the issues.

If the site in question is the one in your account, I have spent 10 minutes browsing it without any problems.
No lagging at all and pages load in milliseconds.

Try browsing the site as a guest when there are lagging issues to see if anything changes.

Thank you. I didn't know if having 200-300 forums by itself could be an issue. If you don't know, you ask. :) I will try the guest thing as you suggest when we run across the issue next. I do agree, having been hosting websites now for 26 years, that it sounds like a hosting issue, but it's near impossible to prove due to shared hosting. When I had the server at my house on a T1 line, it was easier to diagnose, but that opened up a whole host of other potential problems.

When it happens now and then, it's so tough to figure out. Last night, it stopped me from winning Trivia, ha ha. Thanks for getting back to me, I'll keep digging.

We don't have huge amounts of traffic by any means, maybe 10-15 people max at one time, and about 150 on average per day.
This is the key factor and with such small numbers, there shouldn't be any lagging.

You may want to consider a new host - I don't know how much you're paying at the moment but I pay $20 a month for shared hosting with zero lag, issues, problems, etc. and it supports Enhanced Search.

It could also be issues such as the host node or server having problems that doesnt present as front end load.

Even moving from a moderate shared hosting package to some VPS providers of the same cost will get you much more for your money.

I was going to start a separate thread but I have also noticed a lagging issue. It makes me think my lag is a Chromium browser issue.

In addition to the XF forums I own or administrate, I visit other XF forums on the web. Without exception, I have found all of them to be laggy in terms of attachment uploading. Months ago, I used to be able to drag an image into the editor in XF 2.2 and see a placeholder while it uploaded, and the upload only took a few seconds. But lately, regardless of image size (even very small images), there is a lag until the editor seems to acknowledge that I've dragged an image to attach, then it takes quite a while before uploads and shows as a file attachment beneath the editor.

Since this happens on multiple sites, I can't blame the servers. I use only Chrome and Edge, which are both Chromium-based, making me think something changed in the browser that is conflicting with or slowing down the editor's handling of an upload. This happens across four different computers and even on mobile, I've noticed, so I can't blame my hardware either.

So, it's annoying...but it also shows that not all problems could be related to forum size, Internet speeds or hosting issues.

Top Bottom