Japan struck by 7.3 magnitude earthquake

Kings Hat

Japan earthquake tsunami warning issued
A tsunami warning has been issued after a 7.3 magnitude earthquake struck off Japan's eastern coast.
The epicentre of the quake was about 245km (150 miles) south-east of Kamiashi at a depth of about 36km, the US Geological Survey said.

The quake was felt in the capital Tokyo and a one-metre tsunami is reported to have reached the city of Ishinomaki in Miyagi Prefecture.

Miyagi was hit by a devastating earthquake and tsunami in March 2011.
More - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-20638696

I hope it doesn't turn out to be as bad and devastating as last year.

The company that owns the power plant made a statement saying nothing was affected which is good news. They've also alerted the public to get to high ground so that's another good step in being safe than sorry and alerting the public to do something. Judging by the broadcasts it's nowhere near as a bad as last time. Hopefully they'll be no casualties

A note from some friends further north say that nerves are rattled but everyone settled down once the tsunami alerts had passed.

What I felt was a rumble that lasted for about a minute but didn't shake like a strong quake normally would. I'm on my home and I bet some of my dishes on the sink broke. (based on how I left them this morning)

Top Bottom