Is it possible to default What's New Tab to New Posts ?

You have helped others, myself included, to the ninth degree in the past but for some reason you have now taken on a different role. Thanks for all your past help but keep your pious comments to your self.
Nothing pompous about it. I do have issues with someone flying a flag of "Admin" when they lack the basic abilities to perform the duties that their title implies (and I've had that outlook for quite a while - just ask over on the IPS site what I think of many of their so-called administrators that are in actuality simply site owners as they don't know - and frequently don't WANT to know - how to perform basic functions). It is no different in a business environment. Pompous covers those so-called "Admins" that don't know how to perform those duties but want to fly that cherished "Administrator" flag. There is an incumbency when you take on certain duties - mainly knowing (or learning) how to perform those duties. Part of that does entail asking questions when it is an area that you may not be familiar with.
The same applies to those that want to consider themselves a "server administrator" when they don't have the basic skill set to perform those duties, but may have the funds to buy the hardware to use. Just because they can afford it, doesn't make them an administrator automatically.

The area in question is a basic knowledge area that a site administrator should know how to do - or at least in the circles I run it should.
It would be like me claiming to be a professional MC racer because I own a motorcycle, or a professional musician because I own some guitars. Until I develop those skill sets the title isn't mine.

Thanks for all your past help but keep your pious comments to your self.
I think that you would probably find many that agree with the stance of what an Administrators duties/responsibilities consist of.... one of which is knowing how to perform the duties that they are responsible for administering.
Kind of like hiring a chef to be the administrator of a businesses accounting department. If the chef has no basic knowledge of accounting, how is he going to effectively perform those administrator duties?

My issue is with the idea that the administrator should not be learning how to do what you refer to as "coding". The example provided is nowhere near what coding would be considered.

Heck, I pretty much qualify as an Administrator... but look what flag I fly on my current site I have up running.

Screen Shot 2017-08-12 at 7.53.01 PM.webp

There is nothing wrong with being called a site owner - but my "beef" is with calling oneself an Administrator when lacking those abilities. Selecting options that are already there is not a true Administrator from my POV. And as I said, I knew it would tick some off, but my opinion is just that... mine and I don't necessarily feel the need for others to agree with it. ;)

Last edited:
Well, I guess it just all depends on your definition of the word admin, and how much you're invested in that definition. I think you can be an "admin" without being a particularly technical person. If your Windows OS calls you an admin, but someone tells you that you need to use a command line and you don't know what the exact syntax is or maybe even where to enter this "command line," are you suddenly no longer actually the admin? ;)

I think the only real problem for a couple of people was not that they were incapable of making the edit, but that it was initially suggested without any directions as to where to make the edit.

If your Windows OS calls you an admin, but someone tells you that you need to use a command line and you don't know what the exact syntax is or maybe even where to enter this "command line," are you suddenly no longer actually the admin?
Even Windows OS occasionally calls for a foray into the CLI. Knowing how to do it is part of the skill set. Just because the default USER/Group name is Administrator by default does not make one that (we get back to the "can pay for it" portion of my statement).

I think the only real problem for a couple of people was not that they were incapable of making the edit, but that it was initially suggested without any directions as to where to make the edit.
Agreed... and that is normal even for Admins - and gets (again) back to the asking questions part of my statement. My issue is the expectation of having everything as drag/drop, point-click type of stuff. Sometimes an admin has to "get his hands dirty" and dig into more than a menu interface of "click here" ability. Being an administrator consists of certain expectations of ability (learning and asking questions being two of them).
The example provided was referred to as coding.... and it's not "coding" in most Admins view, especially if said Admin has actually done coding.

Heck, I've been playing with Windows server since it's NT 3.1 days... and STILL am learning about it (Windows server OS in general) and have to ask questions. No admin will know everything. And sometimes it takes some digging (research). Any any case, this is taking the thread off topic.

Ideally there would be a link to provide further examples in an area in question for the site owner/admin to refer to.

Top Bottom