Importing from VB

Status
Not open for further replies.

pattycake2

If I am going to convert from vBulletin 4.25. Will I need to do any re-mapping or redirects if I am installing in the same folder as the VB installation?

ie: I will overwrite the current vb folder (and url) with the XF forum. Will redirects and mapping still be required?

XF cannot be installed in the same directory as VB.

There are redirection scripts available, or rewrites can be used in .htaccess to ensure old URLs are mapped to the XF equivalents.

Only one software script can run at a time from a single directory.

All you need to do is install XF in a sub directory, such as /xf.

Perform the import from VB.

Archive the VB installation to a new directory, such as _vb.

Move the XF installation from /xf to the domain root.

Only one software script can run at a time from a single directory.

who told you that? I can run all types of scripts in the same folder

Perform the import from VB.
Archive the VB installation to a new directory, such as _vb.
Move the XF installation from /xf to the domain root.

No offense but, that definitely will not work. The import will save a a gob of paths in the settings of the new XF - doing it as you suggest to copy/move the XF to the old folder after the import would mean that all those initial settings will be wrong and have to be changed.

FYI:
I just did the import using the same VB folder and everything ran fine. And.., both VB and XF ran fine in the same folder. Only folder that could have conflicted was the "src" folder - VB has one as does XF but, there are no duplicate filenames or folders in that src folder so it still ran fine.

My question was do I need to do any additional mappings or redirects after the import if I install everything in the original vb folder - My thinking I don't

No offense but, that definitely will not work. The import will save a a gob of paths in the settings of the new XF - doing it as you suggest to copy/move the XF to the old folder after the import would mean that all those initial settings will be wrong and have to be changed.
Incorrect.
It's a single setting in the ACP to alter the URL where XF is installed.

I just did the import using the same VB folder and everything ran fine. And.., both VB and XF ran fine in the same folder.
Your account is currently not associated with a license so no further support can be provided.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom