If Polls are important - why can't they be found ?

Digital Doctor

I think it's fair to say that the number of people voting on polls is low.
Why ?
A design flaw.
Polls, here and with vBulletin, are not given any more importance than a regular post.

Don't you think there are some important polls here @ xenforo.com ... covering important things to vote on (like xenforo features) but you don't know where all the polls are ?

POLLS need to be seen !!! Help them !!

There are many ways to accomplish this.
For me, I would like to see a list of "EVERY POLL" ... not per forum ... EVERY POLL.
I want to read the titles, skip the ones I don't care about ... and vote on the ones I do care about !

Voting in polls is important. Let's give Polls the respect they deserve. Over time, as people become more interested in Voting, Mods will need keep users from making stupid polls. But that's the moderators job anyway !

Let's bring back democracy to Polls. Polls that can't be found are unjust. Wouldn't you be mad if your city hid your Voting Station in 2012 ? and you a had to drive up and down the streets looking for it ?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Idea: POLLS TAB

a "Polls" Tab could help this : Lists of Polls could be displayed
- a list of all polls,
- a list of new polls you haven't read.
- a list of most voted on polls
- List polls in Forum X

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thoughts:
- Should users be able to "Subscribe to all polls" ? (ie. I'd get an alert if a new Poll was posted) ?
- Should users be able to "Subscribe to all polls in a forum" ? (ie. I'd get an alert if a new Poll was posted) ?
- Should admins be able to "Sticky" polls ? (Make them prominent on the Polls Tab, so they are more likely to get Votes?)
- Does vBulletin or another forum have a "Polls Tab" Mod as described ... what does it look like ?
- Could a Poll be marked urgent (admins only)... such that everyone is asked to vote ... and the admin has the option to put an "Alert" message for the entire forum about the vote ? (to be used cautiously).

Upvote 11
Digital doctor this is an excellent idea! I've thought of a way to do this too. I wish I didn"t see this thread now tho cuz I need to sleep. I'll show you my idea tomorrow.

admin-extra-cool-poll-in-sidebar-jpg.1427

http://adminextra.com/

has a cool sidebar that displays one Poll.
I found it enticing. Might be cool if it only displayed polls I have never voted on ... or that I could *skip* polls I don't care to vote for :)

I think it's fair to say that the number of people voting on polls is low.
Why ?
A design flaw.
Polls, here and with vBulletin, are not given any more importance than a regular post.

Don't you think there are some important polls here @ xenforo.com ... covering important things to vote on (like xenforo features) but you don't know where all the polls are ?

POLLS need to be seen !!! Help them !!

There are many ways to accomplish this.
For me, I would like to see a list of "EVERY POLL" ... not per forum ... EVERY POLL.
I want to read the titles, skip the ones I don't care about ... and vote on the ones I do care about !

Voting in polls is important. Let's give Polls the respect they deserve. Over time, as people become more interested in Voting, Mods will need keep users from making stupid polls. But that's the moderators job anyway !

Let's bring back democracy to Polls. Polls that can't be found are unjust. Wouldn't you be mad if your city hid your Voting Station in 2012 ? and you a had to drive up and down the streets looking for it ?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Idea: POLLS TAB

a "Polls" Tab could help this : Lists of Polls could be displayed
- a list of all polls,
- a list of new polls you haven't read.
- a list of most voted on polls
- List polls in Forum X

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thoughts:
- Should users be able to "Subscribe to all polls" ? (ie. I'd get an alert if a new Poll was posted) ?
- Should users be able to "Subscribe to all polls in a forum" ? (ie. I'd get an alert if a new Poll was posted) ?
- Should admins be able to "Sticky" polls ? (Make them prominent on the Polls Tab, so they are more likely to get Votes?)
- Does vBulletin or another forum have a "Polls Tab" Mod as described ... what does it look like ?
- Could a Poll be marked urgent (admins only)... such that everyone is asked to vote ... and the admin has the option to put an "Alert" message for the entire forum about the vote ? (to be used cautiously).

reading your first 5 sentences....... my thirst thought was "Polls Tab" :)

......my second thought though was: Polls Resource Manager

:cool:

It would be nice to give polls a little more prominence. But not too much because IMHO the function is too basic & outdated to be really prominent. Over a decade ago polls have evolved into surveys with nice charts and advanced question types. Its weird that XenForo polls are still stuck in time, while xenforo does have custom field types and charts functions.

I miss a simple NO answer in this poll, this an example of why pools are often so personal, with no real value for a community.

Top Bottom