XF 2.1 Idea: Priv Conf => edit/delete as long it is not read

Robert9

I forbid editing posts after some time, because people will answer. The poster will change the old post and people are confused abaout answers for a changed post, when both dont fit anymore.

With private conversations i see another point: As long you have not read my message, i want to be allowed to change or edit it.
The only reason i see is to educate people to think first and write then. But it happens often enough that people write and think later.
So this is a chance to edit/delete something as long the other one has not read it.

Is there anything like this as an add-on?
If not, how i could be done?

Somewhere musst be a function: check time? Throw error!
So i need to insert my change before the error is thrown? Or maybe before the error is produced?
Hmm, i go and search for an injection point now.

I forbid editing posts after some time, because people will answer. The poster will change the old post and people are confused abaout answers for a changed post, when both dont fit anymore.

With private conversations i see another point: As long you have not read my message, i want to be allowed to change or edit it.
The only reason i see is to educate people to think first and write then. But it happens often enough that people write and think later.
So this is a chance to edit/delete something as long the other one has not read it.

Is there anything like this as an add-on?
If not, how i could be done?

Somewhere musst be a function: check time? Throw error!
So i need to insert my change before the error is thrown? Or maybe before the error is produced?
Hmm, i go and search for an injection point now.
What about if they get email alerts to conversations? No taking that back.

Edit: I guess an email template modification could take care of the snippet...

Yes, that´s a point.
In my case i dont use mails with content.

But the best way would be not to delete a message, but only let them edit message.
Then you can write: "Sorry, was a fault" or something like that, then nobody is confused.

In as conversation, they can always add more info in a second post, whether it has been read or unread, and no matter how much time has gone by since it was originally posted. Since it's not a public post, there's not likely to be any confusion.

In as conversation, they can always add more info in a second post, whether it has been read or unread, and no matter how much time has gone by since it was originally posted. Since it's not a public post, there's not likely to be any confusion.
My thinking behind the original request is like pretty much all mail providers and even some massaging platforms that allow to undo a send or delete a message prior to the other side seeing it, other than something like, "this message has been removed."

As almost all major platforms support some "undo" functionality, I don't see why @Robert9 hasn't posted this in XenForo suggestions.

It's a good way to prevent possibly drunken convos or even just messages you regret later, if the recipient hasn't already viewed it, as a message can destroy someone's reputation with no second chances these days, depending on the severity of the message.

I'd like it more of a "leave conversation" for both parties, but an invite for a moderator to join in automatically as there could be a potential threat and liability; destroying the message without taking action somehow on something could open you up to a liability. Then again, there are privacy concerns too: It was sent but deleted. So, the tree fell in the forest...

I'm torn between how it should be implemented, but it is a good idea for an undo/delete/edit, and if mailing is on, an easier ability to edit the template to not send the snippet or it may be read off site, not found on site, and there's the liability.

Thank you for your opinion.
For myself i will walk now only to one next step:
As long the receiver has not read, the time for edit should not stop on conversations.
=> No delete, just edit.

As long i dont send snippets this is the best way i can see and have now. Also it should be less code,
if possible. I am not shure at the moment if the "has_read_flag" is in xenforo or only in one or two add-ons.
So lets see.

For shure i would like to see this in the core, but when i can do this for my own, i will do it now.
If the idea is good enough for XF and the world, it will come one day.

But there is another idea now.
I dont want to think about posts now, but for a conversation i maybe want to stop every edit after reading.
Maybe this is still the normal way? I dont know. I am online always as Admin and can edit wheneever i want.

To solve now:
No time limit to always edit, when has_read_flag=0
No edit after has_read_flag =1
Is there an has_read_flag at all?

Last edited:
Top Bottom