I can't send a message to an add-on developer

Jon York

Hi,

I'm looking at several different forum packages trying to decide which one we should use for a large website we run and part of my research involves checking out what kinds of addons are available for the different platforms.

There are several different types of addons we would have to know are available before we can decide. I found an addon similar to what we're looking for under Resources here, and found a thread where people were talking about it. I wanted to post a question and a suggesiton but it said I had insufficient privileges. I think that's because that thread was for people who had purchased it.

So, I thought I'd send a message directly to the developer with my suggestion and when I did that, I got a error saying my message was too spammy! And it wouldn't let me contact him! What in the world is going on? I seirously can't contact the developer until after I spent $610 to purchase xenforo and $35 to purchase his addon? I need to get a little feedback from him before I can decide whether or not what we want to do would be possible on xenforo.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Last edited:
Almost every add-on developer has their own website. Have you tried contacting them via their site? If you don't mind me asking, which add-on developer do you want to contact?

Here on XF you need to own a XF license (or be associated with someone who owns a license who can list you in his customer account) in order to be able to use the forum. You are not allowed to post in threads of addons otherwise. You don't need a license of the addon to be able to write sth. in its thread.
You have only permission to write here in the public forums, if you don't have a XF license.

As your matter is a matter of pre-sales question anyway, why don't you ask here for what you are looking and we can help you and assist you.

Not sure why you couldn't pm the developer but I believe it has to do with you are not being a customer (so spam protection).

PS: 1 license costs you 140$.

Last edited:
Oh okay. Thanks for explaining that! It's like such a slap in the face when you sign up and then can't post anything and no reason is given. So, I appreciate that.

I wanted to ask him if he could make a customized modified version of his shadow ban add-on if we went with Xenforo. It's not make or break. We'll probably go with it anyway, but knowing that would have helped. Anyway, thanks for the info!

Well, XF tries to protect itself. One reason is that there are many XF users out there who use nullified versions. And they would be able to use the whole forum for support otherwise, if all users could post. So that is why you need to be associated with a license, if you require support (such as to discuss stuff in addon threads).
(Btw. you don't need an active license for being able to access the support forums, just a license, even if it is expired).

You can ask on Andy's site if you have further questions about his addons. Or you can tag people @Jon York to spawn them here to your thread, if you need that.

Hey, thanks so much. I really appreciate your help. And that makes sense about why you have to have a license to post. Just seems like they'd write a little friendlier error message to non-licensed users to let us know about that!

I appreciate you tracking down @AndyB's site for me. That was very nice!

Top Bottom