Implemented HTML5 <video> with <embed> fallback!

James

I am sure the geo-location feature can be defined to how specific you want it to be... So if you set it to "Town Level" - "City Level" etc... still a nice idea... I would love to see HTML5 Video Tags being used for other video types like mpeg2 and OGG too.... Would be really cool...

I think this should be part of the [MEDIA] tag - HTML5 video element with an <embed> fallback for incompatible browsers.

Upvote 2
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
http://www.appleinsider.com/article..._vp8_webm_codec.html

Apple is involved with H.264, which is the 'main' competition for WebM (There is also Theora, though I'm not sure where the stance on that is for people with the emergence of WebM).

H.264 requires a license to include it in software (?), so open source browsers and programs will not
include it.

EDIT: You might want to find some articles yourself, just realize that people are huge fanboys of one or the other, and theres a lot of media bias.

Unfortunately, all of the available formats currently do have downsides that are noticed, and need to be addressed. I ran across a good article comparing WebM and other codecs, covering them in quite technical detail, but have lost the link.

Unfortunately, all of the available formats currently do have downsides that are noticed, and need to be addressed. I ran across a good article comparing WebM and other codecs, covering them in quite technical detail, but have lost the link.

I saw a few as well.

I'm hoping Google and some of the more open-friendly media communities work on fine tuning WebM, as I can see it being a powerhouse with the release of HTML5.

H.264 is to patent encumbered, and often abuses the patent system to quiet innovation (Similarly to what Apple does).

I'm hoping Google and some of the more open-friendly media communities work on fine tuning WebM, as I can see it being a powerhouse with the release of HTML5.
Frankly, I don't really mind who it is, just as long as one standard ultimately prevails and is widely adopted (and for that to work, it will have to be open). A standard that is actually standard; that would be nice for a change. :D

I would prefer WebM over Theora...

Theora really has little vision, and with the time they've had, nothing has really gone forward.

Frankly, I don't really mind who it is, just as long as one standard ultimately prevails and is widely adopted (and for that to work, it will have to be open). A standard that is actually standard; that would be nice for a change. :D
Best post of the day. Completely agree here! As long as it is actually standard and is adopted widely it'd be great.

I also think Kier/Mike should implement as much HTML5 as possible - I am hoping to see future articles/blogs to use HTML5's mark-up! :)

Top Bottom