XF 2.1 How to hard delete conversations?

orthopug

A couple of my members had mistakenly sent private information over conversations that they now want permanently deleted. Is this possible? If they delete the conversations, will it be permanently erased from the database?

Yeah, you’ve been able to delete What’sApp messages on group chats for a while now, very useful. Most chat apps let you delete your messages these days without having to leave the conversation completely.

This is not just group it's all but yeah. You can delete individual messages and it removes from the other side. If you go to delete the entire convo it still leaves a copy so you have to delete one by one if trying to remove a convo. But it's useful yes. Like some people said they may have sent something by mistake or personal info in a screenshot or something. Bam. Gone.

It only feels dated as it’s not live. In most other respects it’s far more feature rich than most chat options. The current conversation system is great if you need to have more in depth ‘conversations’, where you can take your time to compose a paragraphed response. Use the quote functionality multiple times, attach multiple items etc.

In that sense it’s more like email, but way better.

If it could be made more real-time like a true chat system, that would make it even better still. Kind of pointless without a mobile app to deliver chat notifications when on the move though, IMO.

I find it very heavy, every post has all the user info/sig etc. It's basically a thread with invited users. If XF were to introduce a messenger they could keep Conversations and call them Private Threads. The suggestion I linked to in fact is suggesting a messenger addition and not overhaul. Or it could be one.

Last edited:

Conversations cannot be deleted in the same way other content can.

They will be deleted from the database once all participants have left.

The member can edit their message to remove the content, if they have the relevant permission.
Can I delete the conversation directly from the DB by deleting the message id row?

Useful in that context is "user kicking" with "Conversation Essentials" by @Xon:

• Kick Participants out of conversations. Option to allow certain user groups to kick a user out of their conversation via a "kick" link at the bottom of the participants list. A kicked user may be re-invited back into the conversation at any time. Please note that those users who leave the conversation on their own accord cannot be invited back as per default XenForo behaviour. Administrators cannot be kicked out of conversations, while Moderators can only be kicked out by Administrators.

Top Bottom