How to guide only permits registration of usernames with the first letter capitalized for XenForo

How to guide only permits registration of usernames with the first letter capitalized for XenForo

So I made with more letters another version:

/^[ÂÁÊÉÍÔÓÚÇA-Z][a-zA-ZâãáêéíôõóúçÂÁÃÊÉÍÔÓÕÚÇ0-9_-]*$/
with all accent, but I don't know why, lowercase is allowed at the beginning.
Are you certain you're using exactly that regex? I just tested it (externally, i.e. not in the XF ACP) and it wasn't matching names which start with a lowercase character. If yes, can you paste an example username that it permits?

Please try it

PHP:
/^[ÂÁÃÊÉÍÔÓÚÇA-Z][a-zÂáãêéíôóúç0-9_-]*$/

If it works as you expect, hit like!

Please utilize my code
This code does not allow users to have capital letters in the middle of their name. That's why I tried to make a new one that would give this possibility.

Are you certain you're using exactly that regex? I just tested it (externally, i.e. not in the XF ACP) and it wasn't matching names which start with a lowercase character. If yes, can you paste an example username that it permits?
I am using this:
PHP:
/^[ÂÁÊÉÍÔÓÚÇA-Z][a-zA-ZâãáêéíôõóúçÂÁÃÊÉÍÔÓÕÚÇ0-9_-]*$/

But the lowercase "â", as in the image, is still allowed. I found this strange because I thought the letters in the first brackets were the only ones allowed for the beginning of the name. :cry:
1717862956123.webp

I thought the letters in the first brackets were the only ones allowed for the beginning of the name. :cry:
Yes, that's what the regex indicates.

I just tried this in the ACP myself and it didn't work. So far I can't get ANY regex in the "Username match regular expression" to make any difference to the accepted usernames... o_O (edit: belay that, just realised I had an issue with my test)

Last edited:
But the lowercase "â", as in the image, is still allowed.
OK I corrected my mistake and managed to both reproduce this and find a cure.
Turns out you need to add the 'u' flag at the end of the RE, e.g. /^[ÂÁÊÉÍÔÓÚÇA-Z][a-zA-ZâãáêéíôõóúçÂÁÃÊÉÍÔÓÕÚÇ0-9_-]*$/u (y)

OK I corrected my mistake and managed to both reproduce this and find a cure.
Turns out you need to add the 'u' flag at the end of the RE, e.g. /^[ÂÁÊÉÍÔÓÚÇA-Z][a-zA-ZâãáêéíôõóúçÂÁÃÊÉÍÔÓÕÚÇ0-9_-]*$/u (y)
Ooh! I'll try it.

How to guide only permits registration of usernames with the first letter capitalized for XenForo - It only allows characters from a to z, digits from 0 to 9, hyphens, and dashes.
I use /^[\w ]+$/ which works well and achieves the same.

Back
Top Bottom