How to encourage the user to accept the cookie banner

Cylon

Dear friends,

in the last days, I'm learning about the behaviour of the users that visit my forum, using recorded sessions and heatmaps. My forum is visited mainly from smartphones (80%), and I have displayed some ads (using "the monetizer" ad platform).
This means that I have to display two dialogues related to cookies: the consent banner for the ads (provided by the platform), and the cookie banner from Xenforo. In my country both are necessary.

As you can see in the attached video (sorry for the poor quality, I hope you can see something), the ads consent banner displays first and uses the whole screen. This is good and fits my purposes, because the user has to do something to see the forum, and 99% of the users simply do click on the "accept all" button. You can see this behaviour in the first two seconds of the video (it happens very fast).

View attachment cookie banner sample.mp4
Then the user can see the forum contents, and of course, a second banner is displayed in the case the user didn't accept it yet: the xenforo cookie consent banner.

And here is the problem: most of the users (I would say, 80%), ignore this dialogue, and never clicks on the "I agree" button. Because of that, the banner remains on the screen and takes a lot of space. This worsens the user experience, and the worst: it hides some ads and content. But apparently, the user does not care about that!

I tried to make the banner bigger (as displayed in the sample video), to force the user to close it, without success. Disabling the banner is not an option in my country.

I can only think of making the banner to be displayed as full-screen dialogue, like the ads consent banner, but I don't know how to do that.

Maybe you know about an addon to style the cookie banner and make it full screen, or some other advice to try to improve the user experience?

Thanks in advance.

If you want to make the notice cover more of the screen, you can add this to the extra.less template:

Less:
.notice--cookie
{
    height: 400px;
}

Maybe you know about an addon to style the cookie banner and make it full screen, or some other advice to try to improve the user experience?
I'm fairly sure making the cookie notice larger/more obtrusive is going to achieve the opposite of that.

Top Bottom