• This forum has been archived. New threads and replies may not be made. All add-ons/resources that are active should be migrated to the Resource Manager. See this thread for more information.

How to create tables using BB Code and Google's Visualization API

Paul B

XenForo moderator
Staff member
Brogan, would you mind explaining in a bit more detail?

What I'd like to do is to create a football league table where it's automatically sorted by points. As this'd change on a regular basis I wanted to make it as easy as possible for our mods to update.

I was wondering whether I could create a template for Jaxel's wiki but without it being sorted it'd mean a lot of work to keep updated.

The standard table BB Code doesn't allow you to sort - it's just static content.

The Google visualization API allows you to sort tables and also define which column they should be sorted on by default.
Here's an example of sortable tables: http://www.cliptheapex.com/community/pages/2011-head-to-head/

Unless your mod's are familiar with html, css and js though, they might find it difficult to update.
Essentially though, all it requires is a template and then copy the updated code into it.
As long as it is copied in the correct place then it should be fine.

http://code.google.com/apis/ajax/playground/#table

The standard table BB Code doesn't allow you to sort - it's just static content.

The Google visualization API allows you to sort tables and also define which column they should be sorted on by default.
Here's an example of sortable tables: http://www.cliptheapex.com/community/pages/2011-head-to-head/

Unless your mod's are familiar with html, css and js though, they might find it difficult to update.
Essentially though, all it requires is a template and then copy the updated code into it.
As long as it is copied in the correct place then it should be fine.
That is awesome...please share...I would love to play with this setup Brogan.

I should just add that the Google table code will only work on Pages as it requires html and js whereas the BB Code tables will obviously only work in posts.

If you create your BB Code tables using Excel though, sorting is a 1 second job and then you can enter the code into the post easily.

What do you want to know Veer?

I'm conscious this thread is being taken off topic so I may well split the posts off to another thread - possibly resource discussions?

I should just add that the Google table code will only work on Pages as it requires html and js whereas the BB Code tables will obviously only work in posts.

If you create your BB Code tables using Excel though, sorting is a 1 second job and then you can enter the code into the post easily.

What do you want to know Veer?

I'm conscious this thread is being taken off topic so I may well split the posts off to another thread - possibly resource discussions?

Then, split this post off as well, Brogan... :D I just had to put this idea down (and mind you, I haven't searched to see if it has been suggested anywhere here yet...if so, apologies all around).

How about if we have a new BBCode (built-in, or via add-on) that lets us embed Google Docs into posts? You can share spreadsheets created at Google (which gives multiple users the ability to , and display them right inside a post. Spreadsheets are the obvious choice, but slide shows (a la Powerpoint) could be of some use also. I'm pretty sure I've seen (and possibly even used) code via Google's API that let you embed an existing document within an existing page. [gdoc]http://spreadsheets.google.com/my/spreadsheet/here.xls[/gdoc]

Embedding a Google Calendar would be nice also--I'm sure the API is very similar.

I'm done hijacking this thread with my sleep-deprived mind...carry on!

One of my colleagues in web design actually utilized embedding of spreadsheets in a few of his clients' pages, as they were comfortable editing spreadsheets as opposed to working with any kind of HTML or other forms online.

I think it would be a nice additional BBCode option to have available. I can think of a few cases where some of our forum members want to post lists of things, and doing so with a sharable spreadsheet is easier than having to work with BBCode. (Not all of our members are 100% computer savvy like we are here. ;) )

Top Bottom