XF 2.2 How do I get a variable into my controller?

grantus

I have two things I'm trying to understand with the Xenforo system.

Let's say I have two tables: MyTable1 and MyTable2. I want to query MyTable1 and use that column value in my query for MyTable2.

In PHP I would simply do a query on MyTable1, set a variable then use that variable in my query for MyTable2.

The second thing is I would use $_GET to get from a URL then use that value in my query.

How can I do these with the Entity/Controller?

I understand about relations in the Entity but I still don't see how I can either get a value from a link (url) or from one table to another.

I saw that I could use this:

Code:
$variable = $this->filter('my_column', 'uint');

But this is where I get confused on how to implement everything.

Solution
I'm assuming that's not the normal way that Xenforo passes an ID through?
Through a URL, you mean? Most IDs are passed as route parameters.

For example, the threads/ route format is :int<thread_id,title>/:page, which produces URLs like threads/title.1/.

In a template, you can build a link to this route using the link template function:
HTML:
<xf:comment>assuming $thread is a thread entity</xf:comment>
<a href="{{ link('threads', $thread) }}">{$thread.title}</a>

The parameters (thread_id and title) are automatically pulled from the properties of the thread object.

In the corresponding controller action you'll receive a \XF\Mvc\ParameterBag object, which you can use to access...
In PHP I would simply do a query on MyTable1, set a variable then use that variable in my query for MyTable2.
You could essentially do the same thing:
PHP:
// assuming $myTable1 is an instance of \Your\AddOn\Entity\MyTable1
$myTable2 = $this->finder('Your\AddOn:MyTable2')
    ->where('other_column', $myTable1->first_column)
    ->fetchOne();

Alternatively, you could define a relation on your MyTable1 entity structure:
PHP:
$structure->relations = [
    'MyTable2' => [
        'entity' => 'Your\AddOn:MyTable2',
        'type' => self::TO_ONE, // assuming a one-to-one relation
        'conditions' => [['second_column', '=', '$first_column']],
        'primary' => true, // assuming second_column is the primary key, otherwise omit this
    ],
];
PHP:
// assuming $myTable1 is an instance of \Your\AddOn\Entity\MyTable1
$myTable2 = $myTable1->MyTable2;

The second thing is I would use $_GET to get from a URL then use that value in my query.
You've basically got it. Use
PHP:
$value = $this->filter('param_name', 'type');

Then you can use $value in a finder to set a where clause.

Thank you, I see what you mean and it makes more sense now.

For example, I'm looking to see how it's done in the thread template but I don't know how it's done to simply obtain the thread_id. I have my own template "battles" and I just want to get the "battle_id" to show the proper battle inside my template.

Normally in PHP I would just do mysite.com/battles.php?battle_id=x

So essentially they way I'm thinking of it is like this:

Battles controller -> finder results -> battles template - shows all the battles and links to battle_view template with the battle_id.

How would I then get the battle_id and pass it into my battle_view template? Obviously I'd have a separate finder for battle_view, but that's where I'm stuck.

Sorry if it's confusing, it's just I'm trying to integrate my old setup into Xenforo's.

Through a URL, you mean? Most IDs are passed as route parameters.

For example, the threads/ route format is :int<thread_id,title>/:page, which produces URLs like threads/title.1/.

In a template, you can build a link to this route using the link template function:
HTML:
<xf:comment>assuming $thread is a thread entity</xf:comment>
<a href="{{ link('threads', $thread) }}">{$thread.title}</a>

The parameters (thread_id and title) are automatically pulled from the properties of the thread object.

In the corresponding controller action you'll receive a \XF\Mvc\ParameterBag object, which you can use to access the route params ($params->thread_id) and do whatever you want with them.

How would I then get the battle_id and pass it into my battle_view template? Obviously I'd have a separate finder for battle_view, but that's where I'm stuck.
You'd have a separate controller action for every page, ie. actionList and actionView. In your view action, you can use a shortcut for fetching the entity by primary key:

PHP:
// assuming you have your route set up roughly as outlined above
$battle = $this->em()->find('Your\AddOn:Battle', $params->battle_id)

Solution
Now I get it! So it coincides with the routing, that makes sense now.

So far I thought it was strictly actionIndex used to display for each template.

I fixed my routing and set it up as archives/battle/battle_id and it works! I'm starting to understand more how the params are used, it's starting to come together.

Thanks again for all the help.

Top Bottom