How could AI be used in a future version of XenForo?

FTL

AI is all the rage nowadays and is going into everything, including Microsoft Office, soon. This has me wondering how AI tech could be used to enhance the functionality of a future XenForo. Self-writing posts by AI users could be one I guess, to help startup forums out of their natural catch-22, perhaps. Doing this could be seen as underhand or fake, though.

Let's hear your AI ideas. Who know, perhaps some of them might become part of a future XF.

I think its only a matter of a short time til every editor has "rephrase" or "improve" right next to the smiley button.

AI for better 'Similar threads', predictive search, any kind of search, thesaurus, phrasing^, translating... the list is endless.

AI for better 'Similar threads', predictive search, any kind of search, thesaurus, phrasing^, translating... the list is endless.
Seriously, if you can think of a few creative examples, I'd love to hear them! :)

Keep the ideas coming people, this is fascinating. :cool:

There’s a technique that I’ve been working on in my 9to5 to use a LLM with my own knowledge base (for example, my forum posts) and generate text based on that context for anything you need such as a question solver. It’s some sort of Retrieval Augmented Generation and it might be useful for forums because, different from generating text without context, this method uses the model with your own context which happens to be particularly useful.

A few ideas from the top of my head:

• Search engine for your forum with natural language (RAG)
  • Spam management
  • Automated email marketing (RAG)
  • Text translation
  • Bot to reply to support threads (RAG)
  • Game copilot (for role based forums for example and with the context of the game)
  • Auto moderator for specific use cases - for example if you need certain posts to include a piece of information, let’s say the warranty details in a classifieds forum, you can auto moderate it with an LLM.

The list could go on. What I don’t agree with is to use it as a bot to post messages in your forum without any context whatsoever.

Last edited:
In addition to everything people already mentioned, you could also have a text to image system for people wanting to post images of something abstract (not a specific image of something), as well as letting users use it for avatar and profile banner creation (my avatar here is from AI image generation).

I wish a had a use case that could justify the cost of running my own AI/machine learning rig, because it would be super fun to mess with.

The problem is this rig is about $250,000:

Then then it has 8x 3000W power supplies (it needs 4 to stay on, and 4 more for full redundancy). So the cost of 2x 240V, 60A circuits in a data center adds a pretty significant monthly power cost to keep it on as well.

Content discovery!

An "intelligent" cross-content-type newsfeed-like system, that shows what the user is really interested in.

The whole thing of allowing AI on your forums is hopeless.
go to social media and it is on there annoying the crap out of us.
imagine you getting phone calls. This already happens

It'd be nice to have AI read your categories and descriptions, then suggest where to post a thread during the creation process to avoid mis categorization.

Or have a batch process that runs on older threads and does the same thing, queuing up alerts to help you move stuff to the most appropriate place. This would be super helpful for very old forums.

Top Bottom