How compatible and usable is XF with mobile phones?

Kilt

I'd appreciate it if someone could explain in simple language and general terms how compatible and friendly a vanilla XF license is for use by Android and iPhones.

I don't use a phone myself, but it is apparent that more and more of our VB5 members are using phones and having all sorts of problems logging in and seeing the forum properly. I am hoping XF is better at this. Or do phone users have to install some third party app?

XF works on all screen sizes without issue.

It is fully mobile responsive and has a PWA.

Thank you, Brogan, but for this complete novice in administration and even your most common industry terminology, is the PWA necessary for phone access and function, or is it something that that enhances function?

Is the PWA already integrated into XF, waiting to be turned on (by the user or administrator?), or must it be added separately?

My site's name is longer than 12 characters (13, not counting ".net"). Does that nullify the ability to use the PWA, or the native phone functionality, or both.

And do I read correctly that the PWA doesn't work with Apple Safari and Apple IOS devices?

PWA is not necessary.

The thread I linked to explains the requirements and how to enable it.

Just use this site from a mobile device and you will see how it functions.

Thanks, all. I won't use a phone for admin or posting, but members increasingly use phones to post and I wanted to make sure XF has intrinsic compatibility with iPhone and Android. Most can't even log into our current bug-infested VB5 site at all with phones.

Yes, editor is pretty spotty when using on phone, but mostly for "advanced" things.

But moderation and administration works great on phones. People for sure can use it without problems. Now I can manage everything from phone, except SSH, I still prefer to do this on computer.

on android at least, the editor can become a bit pain to use because if you select some text, android bar appears over the text which hides the xenforo's own toolbar. samsung devices let you move that bar around which helps. but iirc, stock android doesn't so i had to push the text down to access the xenforo toolbar.

though this is not specifically a xenforo issue. this is why i was hoping for xenforo floating toolbar to become a thing.

Top Bottom