Housecleaning-Delete all users with no posts and bounced email

ActorMike

With one click, I just wiped out 2,632 members with no posts and bounced email accounts. I cannot think of any user at all for them!

DELETE FROM myforumname.xf_user WHERE (user_state like 'email_bounce' AND message_count = '0');

Does anyone else have any other housecleaning tips?

Why didn't you use the Batch update users function in the ACP?
I didn't even know this was a feature. LOL! I've had a forum for so long that I've always had to use the other method.

Does anyone else want to share some user cleanup practices they use?

andy has an addon that automates this by cleaning users who haven't posted in 365 days. quite nice.

andy has an addon that automates this by cleaning users who haven't posted in 365 days. quite nice.

I don't see any reason to delete a user that has posted just because they haven't posted in 365 days if they have a valid email address. We've had plenty of members since 2001 that lurk or they will sell their car and buy another one a couple years later and return.

Every community is different in the end. I have used it in the past and got no complaints. It does affect people who maintain an account to subscribe to nodes and threads. But the likelihood of having users who haven't made any post but still remain active as a member after a year is going to be miniscule for a lot of communities.

With one click, I just wiped out 2,632 members with no posts and bounced email accounts. I cannot think of any user at all for them!

DELETE FROM myforumname.xf_user WHERE (user_state like 'email_bounce' AND message_count = '0');

Does anyone else have any other housecleaning tips?
yeah... don't use a mySQL command to do that? Use the built in functions of your script so that it keeps all records in sync?

Every community is different in the end. I have used it in the past and got no complaints. It does affect people who maintain an account to subscribe to nodes and threads. But the likelihood of having users who haven't made any post but still remain active as a member after a year is going to be miniscule for a lot of communities.
From a business perspective, having members with valid email addresses has value, especially if you have paid for advertising to get them to join. For example, no large corporation like WalMart is going to delete customer accounts because they have not made a purchase in a year. It's free to have them stored in the database. The only reason I could see that anyone would remove a valid customer/member is severe OCD. :-)

is it possible to delete banned members?
Yes, but it makes sense to keep them IMO. In many cases it can be useful to stop them rejoining. Yes they can be sock puppets of course, but many aren’t bothered to get another email address, VPN etc.

Besides you can get loads of guest posts that may not look too good.

Yes, but it makes sense to keep them IMO. In many cases it can be useful to stop them rejoining. Yes they can be sock puppets of course, but many aren’t bothered to get another email address, VPN etc.

Besides you can get loads of guest posts that may not look too good.
Spammers will keep registering in both cases, but only problem wanting to delete them because banned members will still receive email notifications

Maybe an addon is causing that?
It is going to be a long process to identify that, that's why I deleted banned spammers

Addons:

[OzzModz] Alerts Auto Refresh (AJAX) 2.0.0 1
Developer: Painbaker Support
[OzzModz] Google Search

[OzzModz] Google Search 2.0.0
Seamless integration of Google Search Engine with your forum search system.
Developer: Painbaker Support Original author
s9e/MediaSites

s9e/MediaSites 2.7.13
Improves the performance and usability of media sites, and adds many popular new sites.
Developer: JoshyPHP FAQ Support Donate in EUR Donate in USD

SEO Utilities 1.0.1
Various options to improve the SEO of your forum
Developer: JulianD Support
XenForo Media Gallery

XenForo Media Gallery 2.2.4

I don't see any reason to delete a user that has posted just because they haven't posted in 365 days if they have a valid email address. We've had plenty of members since 2001 that lurk or they will sell their car and buy another one a couple years later and return.

I've got profiles that haven't posted in over 1 to 15 years, and they aren't being deleted by Andy's delete users addon. The primary difference being they have posted at least once.

To me, a profile with no forum posts isn't a contributor. I'll make exceptions with those who upload resources or media, but one has to participate and post at some point - at least once.

My 11 years old forum has 2,067,752 members now.
But 1,221,055 of those:
  • Last visited 365+ days
  • No post
Deleting them will offer more available username for future members, save some database data.

Top Bottom